Sign in to follow this  

Which YZ250 should I buy 05, 03, 01?

Hello, I'm looking to get my first dirt bike in a long time. I have a 1 mile dirt track on my property. I'll be going to the Pismo dunes occasionally, MX tracks, trail rides, etc. I love jumping but I'm getting older so I'll be taking it easy. 5'11", 210lbs. I like 2 smokes because of how the noise dies over distance and thru trees, they seem to be better deals than used 4 strokes, and because of jumping. I'm not too concerned about red vs. green sticker because I don't think I'll be going to areas that need green during the summer when it's in effect.

There's a bunch of nice looking YZ250s and CR250s on craigslist. Want to get some thoughts on which one would be the best. I have a Yammie Superjet I ride in the surf at Pismo and it's made me really like Yammies. Especially the reliability. I don't want to spend time fixing, just riding. I don't think I'll need more power than a stock 250 2smoke.

Which one of these bikes should I choose?

YZ250s

05 - Only reeds and bars done, the rest is stock. About 120 hours, gone through 6-8 back tires. Chain and sprockets getting low, back tire at 1/2 tread. $2000

03 - 20 hours on it tops. Vet rode. Has $1000 in the motor. $1700 pretty firm

01 - very low hours, like a brand new bike, has at least a pipe done to it, $1900

CR250s

04 - pipe, silencer, jd jet kit, skid plate very clean $2000

03 - FMF Power Core2 sparky, FMF Gold Series SST Pipe, Vortex sprocket, Sunline AV One Handlebars, gold chain, ODI white grips and SDG seat. sand tire, extra red rear fender, lift stand, extra air filter (uni), FMF packing and misc oils and chemicals for maintenance. I have only run Maxima Castor 927 oil mixed at 32:1 to keep the engine in great shape asking $1900

Should I go with the 05YZ which is probably the best bike, but needs chain sprockets. Is 6-8 back tires still low use, or could it be pretty worked?

Edited by SuperFun
add specs

I would go with the 05 YZ because it has the aluminum frame and the 05 is basically the same as a brand new 2012 YZ 250!

Id go with the 03 YZ250 if its in better shape than the 05. the aluminum frame really doesnt do much for the average rider, some actually like the steel frames better for woods riding. The real benefit the newer YZ's have over the 03 is the SSS suspension which didnt come until 06. Dont get the 01...just too dated, atleast the 02 and up to current has the same plastics. Never been a fan of the CR's just always felt the YZ was a superior bike in almost every way.

Get the 03 YZ if it looks like it has been taken care of. The aluminum frame is nice but not worth an extra 100hrs and $300. You would be looking at at least a top end for the 05. Just ask about basic maintenance stuff for each bike. I could be wrong but the 05 sounds like the owner just rode it a lot, with no basic maintenance.

Hello, I'm looking to get my first dirt bike in a long time. I have a 1 mile dirt track on my property. I'll be going to the Pismo dunes occasionally, MX tracks, trail rides, etc. I love jumping but I'm getting older so I'll be taking it easy. 5'11", 210lbs. I like 2 smokes because of how the noise dies over distance and thru trees, they seem to be better deals than used 4 strokes, and because of jumping. I'm not too concerned about red vs. green sticker because I don't think I'll be going to areas that need green during the summer when it's in effect.

There's a bunch of nice looking YZ250s and CR250s on craigslist. Want to get some thoughts on which one would be the best. I have a Yammie Superjet I ride in the surf at Pismo and it's made me really like Yammies. Especially the reliability. I don't want to spend time fixing, just riding. I don't think I'll need more power than a stock 250 2smoke.

Which one of these bikes should I choose?

YZ250s

05 - Only reeds and bars done, the rest is stock. About 120 hours, gone through 6-8 back tires. Chain and sprockets getting low, back tire at 1/2 tread. $2000

03 - 20 hours on it tops. Vet rode. Has $1000 in the motor. $1700 pretty firm

01 - very low hours, like a brand new bike, has at least a pipe done to it, $1900

CR250s

04 - pipe, silencer, jd jet kit, skid plate very clean $2000

03 - FMF Power Core2 sparky, FMF Gold Series SST Pipe, Vortex sprocket, Sunline AV One Handlebars, gold chain, ODI white grips and SDG seat. sand tire, extra red rear fender, lift stand, extra air filter (uni), FMF packing and misc oils and chemicals for maintenance. I have only run Maxima Castor 927 oil mixed at 32:1 to keep the engine in great shape asking $1900

Should I go with the 05YZ which is probably the best bike, but needs chain sprockets. Is 6-8 back tires still low use, or could it be pretty worked?

All sound good enough to me. The 05 sounds like the pick mainly because it's newest but maybe not the best shape. ..just depends on what looks best . I don't think the age on these bikes is a very big difference especially when you say the 01 looks like new. I like honda handling and quality but all these bikes sound like a good start.

Great replies! Thanks.

Unfortunately the 05 is 2 hours east and everything else is 2 hrs south! It's nice when you can check out a couple bikes at the same time and really see what the condition is.

The 05 is on it's 2nd top end. He said 18-20 hrs on it, about 80-90 on the first. Does that sound reasonable?

Wish I had that group of bikes to pick from.:smirk:

250 2T MX bikes are almost non existent in the classifieds around here. Beau coup 125s for sale, but only an occasional pre '00 beater of some sort, usually over priced, and always with a "new top end".:bonk:

Thanks again for the replies.

I put a deposit on the 03 today! He said he was waiting for the title to clear from the lien holder so I'm playing it safe and waiting until the title is in hand.

The ad for the 05 was gone, and I was leaning to the 03 anyway. The 01 "like brand new" was NOT. I looked at another bike a few weeks ago in "excellent" condition that had two broken levers, low front tire, and wouldn't start. The 03 WAS in pretty much excellent condition.

yzright.jpg

yzleft.jpg

A few questions:

The front wheel axle is kind of loose, the wheel will move side to side. A lot of the YZs I looked at were like this. Once it's loose are the bearings shot? If you tighten the front wheel axle nut will it tighten it up?

It's setup for high compression and race gas. I don't need that much power and would rather use pump gas. Is there an easyish way to reduce compression, like a thicker head gasket?

It's been a long time since I rebuilt a 2 stroke or worked on an MX bike. :bonk:

Edited by SuperFun
fix images

Thanks again for the replies.

I put a deposit on the 03 today! He said he was waiting for the title to clear from the lien holder so I'm playing it safe and waiting until the title is in hand.

The ad for the 05 was gone, and I was leaning to the 03 anyway. The 01 "like brand new" was NOT. I looked at another bike a few weeks ago in "excellent" condition that had two broken levers, low front tire, and wouldn't start. The 03 WAS in pretty much excellent condition.

yzright.jpg

yzleft.jpg

A few questions:

The front wheel axle is kind of loose, the wheel will move side to side. A lot of the YZs I looked at were like this. Once it's loose are the bearings shot? If you tighten the front wheel axle nut will it tighten it up?

It's setup for high compression and race gas. I don't need that much power and would rather use pump gas. Is there an easyish way to reduce compression, like a thicker head gasket?

It's been a long time since I rebuilt a 2 stroke or worked on an MX bike. :bonk:

If you grab the front wheel while the bike is on the stand and wiggle it side to side and there is play then the bearings are shot. I'm willing to bet the rears are on their way out too. I would replace both front and rear bearings and all will be tight again.

Just replaced wheel bearings on my 02' YZ250 myself.

Fix the race gas issue with a new cylinder head and squish band set by RB Designs near Portland OR.

So I should buy a new OEM head, do a squish band test with the new head, and send that to RB Designs to for a head mod?

Why wouldn't I just replace what's on their with a stock head? Just for more performance? Or because the bike is already modded elsewhere for high performance/compression?

My skills will take a while to get to the point where I'll need more than stock power.

If you grab the front wheel while the bike is on the stand and wiggle it side to side and there is play then the bearings are shot. I'm willing to bet the rears are on their way out too. I would replace both front and rear bearings and all will be tight again.

Just replaced wheel bearings on my 02' YZ250 myself.

Cool, that looks like and easy, inexpensive fix. The rear had no play at all so I'm guessing they are fine. Thanks.

So I should buy a new OEM head, do a squish band test with the new head, and send that to RB Designs to for a head mod?

Why wouldn't I just replace what's on their with a stock head? Just for more performance? Or because the bike is already modded elsewhere for high performance/compression?

My skills will take a while to get to the point where I'll need more than stock power.

Ya, OEM would be fine but RB's heads make jetting easier and prevent spooge whilst providing crisper throttle or so they say.

I wasn't able to hook up with the guy with the 2003 before I went on vacation, and he didn't have the title so I ended up buying a different bike on Christmas eve, so I could take it to Pismo Beach over the holidays.

2004 YZ250, oversize gas tank, fmf silencer, bars. Great condition, starts first kick.

Included:

Lift/stand

Almost new:

Helmet

Boots

Jersey

Gloves

Pants (the only thing that didn't fit, but my wife can wear them)

Goggles

$50 nice carb gas can with 3 gallons of premix

Assorted parts

For.. $1400! Nice Christmas present to myself!

It's been the first time I've really ridden a bike in the sand. What a blast!

43540790.jpg

Edited by SuperFun
add pic

I wasn't able to hook up with the guy with the 2003 before I went on vacation, and he didn't have the title so I ended up buying a different bike on Christmas eve, so I could take it to Pismo Beach over the holidays.

2004 YZ250, oversize gas tank, fmf silencer, bars. Great condition, starts first kick.

Included:

Lift/stand

Almost new:

Helmet

Boots

Jersey

Gloves

Pants (the only thing that didn't fit, but my wife can wear them)

Goggles

$50 nice carb gas can with 3 gallons of premix

Assorted parts

For.. $1400! Nice Christmas present to myself!

It's been the first time I've really ridden a bike in the sand. What a blast!

43540790.jpg

Awesome Deal!!!:bonk:

Either the 05 yz or 03 cr. I love my 05!

what is issue(s) with 02 CR250r? why u think the the 03 is a better choice?

I have read somewhere that the stock Mikuni carb may be junk and hard to get jetting correct!