Sign in to follow this  

4 stroke oil in gear box?

So getting ready to put all the parts back together and ride for the first time, i went and picked up some oil for the gearbox. I told the guy what i had at the motorcylce dealer and he gave me Yamalube performance all purpose fourstroke sae 10w-40. Is this right? I would think i needed to use some sort of gear oil or atf or something. BTW i have an 89 rmx 250.

Thanks,

Dan

That oil should be fine they recommend 4 stroke oil for a lot of 2 stroke trannys. I think the biggest thing is just that the oil has friction modifiers for the wet clutch. My uncle puts gear oil in all his 2 strokes though. The problem i see with that though is gear oil and atf don't have the friction modifiers for the clutch. I think mobil 1 and royal purple both make specific 2 stroke dirtbike oil but they're both pretty expensive.

Let me get this right , you guys run the modern engine oil in your RM gearboxes that a four stroke mx bike uses when the engine and gearbox oil are combined ? If so why is this better ?

Let me get this right , you guys run the modern engine oil in your RM gearboxes that a four stroke mx bike uses when the engine and gearbox oil are combined ? If so why is this better ?

better than what? thats just what a lot of manufacturers recommend im sure there's better oils to use. the royal purple and mobil one two stroke specific stuff is probably better but i doubt if by much

The only thing that i make sure of is that its a wet clutch compatible oil, some of the friction modified/energy conserving oils could cause clutch slippage

Way waaay back.....in the 70's all we used ('cause thats all there was) standard mineral automobile engine oil. Duckham's Q20/50 to be exact. Never had a clutch slip - ever!

Way waaay back.....in the 70's all we used ('cause thats all there was) standard mineral automobile engine oil. Duckham's Q20/50 to be exact. Never had a clutch slip - ever!

Yea, us old school guys even used automotive ATF as fork oil too!

Crazy old coots :lol:

• Like 1