Sign in to follow this  

Next steps for my 470 motor?

My 08' SM is currently running a 470 big bore kit, hot cams, a yoshi comp pipe, and a KLX650 carb. Over the summer I blew the head gasket out of it while offroading, and after some quick research I found out that the Hot Cams we're likely to blame.

Over the winter I plan to give the bike the upgrades it needs to be reliable and powerful again. I just dont entirely know what parts I should be getting for it.

My bike is used during the week as my commuter, and my daily drive to work is about 40 minutes of highway riding. On the weekends I ride about 20 minutes on the highway out to the local track and spend the days racing it in our local SM class, then ride it home. My bike also see's alot of offroading. All this being said my bike see's alot of high RPM.

I know that the SSW stuff is basically the best, so thats what I want to go with. I dont want to be tearing down my 470 every year to replace gaskets, valves, etc.

So far im thinking I'll need the SSW RHC 187 cams, the RHC valve kit, and likely the SSW stage 2 spring kit. I also plan on doing the 41mm FCR, an MRD pipe, coil on plug conversion, and the fan override switch.

Any suggestions or advise on this parts list? Anything I'm missing?

PM Eddie and away you go..

Might consider getting SSW to port your head and add bigger intake if its there and apart.

Keep time near/on rev limiter short if even hit it and the motor should be ok, with the SSW freshen up.

Might consider getting SSW to port your head and add bigger intake if its there and apart.

Keep time near/on rev limiter short if even hit it and the motor should be ok, with the SSW freshen up.

Have you thought about calling Eddie for his advice?

The above advice is good as is your parts list....Eddie will definitely steer you the right way....

Just remember with any engine with high/hard usage ,maintenance intervals are closer and rebuilds are more frequent...

so you have the + 5mm with the spacer ?

This?

If your running an off the shelf CW cylinder then its 94mm

Current HR cranks are +4mm so 62.6+ 4 = 66.6 stroke x 94mm bore = 462cc displacement.

With the 5mm crank (no longer made) it would be 469cc displacement

The reason we are asking is, the CW cylinder is a copy of the OEM cylinder, and that design does not do well with bores larger then 94mm (there are some exceptions, but few)

So if you have a 4mm crank and a 470cc displacement,, your larger then 94mm bore, hence the question :lol:

Edited by E.Marquez
Fat finger typo

With the 41 mm FCR you need to ring it out. If you avoid the upper rpm range it defeats the purpose. Eddies configuration is fine to be used and abused just like the original. the only issue with high rpm in a bigbore stroker is it will "blow" oil out the breather as the breather system isn't very good for this volume. you will need to keep an eye on oil levels.

Peak torque is about 7K rpm and HP is at 9K rpm so not sure if you would define either as "near".

With the 41 mm FCR you need to ring it out. If you avoid the upper rpm range it defeats the purpose. Eddies configuration is fine to be used and abused just like the original. the only issue with high rpm in a bigbore stroker is it will "blow" oil out the breather as the breather system isn't very good for this volume. you will need to keep an eye on oil levels.

Peak torque is about 7K rpm and HP is at 9K rpm so not sure if you would define either as "near".

I agree completely with your statement, but how long will a drz BB/stroker motor last riding at 9-10k even more with some cdi. Just saying.

I wouldn't expect the stock nor a mod'ed motor to last more then 5000km racing at 9k all day.

I once knew, but no longer remember exactly which CW and Hot Rods kits my motor has, but a 4mm bore and 5mm stroke sounds familiar.

My motor isnt constantly on the limiter, but it does see its fair share of highway riding, and because I race it I dont want to lower my gear ratio.