Sign in to follow this  

Tweaked front end 2010 RMZ 250

I recently bought a used 2010 RMZ 250 and since I haven't ridden a bike in 8 years. The first thing I did was crash into some bamboo and send myself flying in the space of about 20 seconds. Which resulted in the front end getting slightly tweaked: http://goodluckmakingrent.com/images/img0875tlt.jpg

I did get it from a dealer but I'm not exactly in a big rush to get it fixed.

What I would like to know is.

1) What exactly I managed to do

2) Am I alright to leave it alone for a couple months and then use the pretense of a service to get it fixed? Bearing in mind I'll only be riding it along a track that has no jumps but does get a bit steep in places.

3) How would one go about fixing it, I do have the service manual but I have a feeling I'm lacking some of the necessary tools ie. torque wrench and who knows what else.

Thanks for any help regarding this matter.

Dude you dont want to ride it like that. Loosen off the handlebar clamp mounts and your fork pinch bolts, you tweaked one if not both, takes about 15 minutes to fix. also make sure your torque your fork pinch bolts down to the spec!! Cheers! Hit bamboo were you in the jungle homie? lol

yeah u shud be fine, except for ur handle bars i think u have to change em...... da rest is just loosen all da bolt and ur gud...

Dude you dont want to ride it like that. Loosen off the handlebar clamp mounts and your fork pinch bolts, you tweaked one if not both, takes about 15 minutes to fix. also make sure your torque your fork pinch bolts down to the spec!! Cheers! Hit bamboo were you in the jungle homie? lol

Thanks for the tip, I'll pick up a torque wrench today, a socket set and a bike jack and then hopefully I should be able to fix it. I'll post back when I do. I'm sure this won't be the first time I post on here requesting advice on how to fix my bike after I crash it ;D

NO, don't ride it like that. Where in Oz are you?

I'm on the Sunny Coast in QLD so probably a bit far away. But I do have a manual so I should be okay =).

that's not that bad and can be a common occurance if your a crasher. but, as stated above it shouldn't be ridden like that, your more vulnerable to crashing again and the fork will not work as they should and their components will wear quickly. you should get used to fixing this, quick fix is:

-put the bike on a stand (so front wheel is off the ground)

-loosen front axle nut and axle pinch bolts

-loosen lower triple clamp pinch bolts.

-spin the front wheel as fast as you can and hit the brake (this will "jar" the front end). do this several times and the front end will true itself.

-if your not happy, take the bike off the stand, hold the front brake and compress the front suspension several times and recheck. if necessary use your legs to get it true***

-once you have it trued. torque down the lower tripple clamp pinch bolts, and repeat the above process for trueing, to let the forks settle into proper position on the axle.

-torque down the axle pinch bolts and axle.

check that the bar holder bolts are not bent. this can be done by taking off your bar pad and removing the four bar clamp screws. once the bars are removed you will notice a hex bolt that goes through the bottom holders. these bolts can be removed from the bottom of the "upper" tripple clamp. (should be two self locking nuts) unscrew them and remove the bottom bar holder clamps and inspect the bolts (if they arent bent)

***i had a bad crash once and the front end was similarly tweaked, with the above method i couldn't get it straight with the front fender. but the problem was that i also tweaked the front fender! so i guess the moral is that you shouldn't trust your fender 100% for straightness.

looks good enough to me, how are your bars?

I actually didn't check the bar holder bolts as I'd already had enough fun for one day with correcting the front wheel. So please don't scold me too much ;D