Sign in to follow this  

Snow Riding

This year is the first year I've had the convience of a backyard track for riding this time of year with snow...I went out a little and slid all over the place but didnt wreck (I skipped the jumps). Is there any techniques for riding in the snow/ice or is it just luck and hope for the best?

I do not have studs in my tires and i really dont want to put them in.

how deep is the snow?? when i went in the snow last year my bike gripped pretty well but i've heard the technique is different to riding in dirt,sand etc. what i did was just take it easy and stay easy on the gas and don't grip the bike too much. worked for me

Tow someone in a sled behind you. That helps keep your back end from sliding out as long as you keep tension on the rope. If your victim is feeling adventurous have them try to ski or snowboard while being towed.

Tow someone in a sled behind you. That helps keep your back end from sliding out as long as you keep tension on the rope. If your victim is feeling adventurous have them try to ski or snowboard while being towed.

The appropriate thing to say before doing this is, "Hey, y'all, watch this!"

58 seconds. We have about two hours worth of video of doing this. Maybe I'll post it up on the you tube eventually. We were using a 3 wheeler that day but have done it with bikes multiple times.

But my tip would be very easy on the throttle and brakes or you will be on the ground. Even if you are easy on the throttle and brakes you'll probably find yourself on the ground, but its fun. I've done it with a bike with 35 year old enduro tires with some success but whenever it gets icy your gonna crash.

i used to tow sleds with my xr70 all the time when i was little, then my freinds got quads and now we just use trucks. dont slow down to fast either, sometimes the sled comes pretty up quick

58 seconds. We have about two hours worth of video of doing this. Maybe I'll post it up on the you tube eventually. We were using a 3 wheeler that day but have done it with bikes multiple times.

But my tip would be very easy on the throttle and brakes or you will be on the ground. Even if you are easy on the throttle and brakes you'll probably find yourself on the ground, but its fun. I've done it with a bike with 35 year old enduro tires with some success but whenever it gets icy your gonna crash.

I love the one where the guy spins out on the 3 wheeler! epic! hahaha

Never tried a big bike, but me and my bro have had some fun on the 70 in the snow. It carved a trench all the was around the track. I was impressed with how much traction it got. We shoveled it down to 6" deep or so before we started, 12" tires don't go through 16" of snow very well.

70berm.jpg

snowtrack3.jpg

snowtrack2.jpg

snowtrack1.jpg

70snowy.jpg

Slush is tough, dry snow is better. I use ice screws in the front, you can use them on the rear, too. And just unscrew them in the spring. Excellent practice for mud riding.

It carved a trench all the was around the track. I was impressed with how much traction it got.

+1

The simplest is if you lay out a track with tires, and start riding it slowly, and gradually speed up as you wear it in.

In this video, I was getting into 4th gear on the longest straight, and even the front wheel was coming up out of some of the corners. It's not as much fun as the summer time, but still way better than polishing your graphics all winter :bonk:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pocketchaos?blend=12&ob=5#p/a/u/0/pCfthyF9sGk

You should really get studded winter tires for your bike. The grip is truely awesome and turns snow riding into alot of fun.

Also get an old pair of mx boots and fill out the grooves under the soles with melt glue so the friction comes down to nothing. Will help you with sliding your feet over the snow - just like adding an extra supporting ski!