Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Filter Flow Rate Required

I was having many carb problems and discovered that the stock petcock seal was crumbling. Removed and also found the filter was falling apart. I ended up replacing with an aftermarket petcock that then meant I need to fit a fuel filter between the low petcock and the carb.

I saw a thread with mention of a very short filter which is similar to what I now have, but I think mine may be a bit longer ... this still does not seem to fit very nicely.

I recent saw the 90 degree visu filter and thought that could work better and was about to order the smallest one when I realized it was rated at 1.8 gal/hour ... that seems pretty slow to me. They have slightly bigger ones that are 6.9 gal/hour (40-70 micron) and one that is 7.7 gal/hour (125 micron).

Any ideas on what flow rate I really need? I am guessing the small one is just too slow ... seems like the 6.9 with the better filtering might be the way to go ... thoughts?

Thanks.

BTW: I have a 2000 XR650R

It depends on your carb. When I ran a fuel filter I went with a generic automotive one, I figured if it flows enough for an auto engine it'll flow enough for my thumper. Btw, generic auto fuel filters usually cost less than the smaller bike filters.

:lol: