Sign in to follow this  

Terminating a Sponsorship

Is there a way to end a sponsorship contract you have signed on hook it? I accepted a 2 year deal for a lousy offer in 2010 and have been offered a better deal from another company that I would like to accept. However they are competing companies so obviously I cant accept them both.

"I accepted"

But hey it's the American way to try and screw someone over.

Does it say in one of the contracts specifically that you can't accept another sponsor from a competing company? If so, do they define what a competing company is? I bet there is a way around it if you read all the fine print and get creative.

I would just wait out the one year that you have left. Would you like them to drop you if they found another rider? Fair is fair, you signed a contract so, live up to it. Remember, the grass might look greener but getting a reputation as a "sponsor hopper" could do you more harm than good.

• Like 1

Hmm true. Obviously I should have done more research before I decided to accept it. At the time that 25% off deal sounded soo good haha. Guess ill just wait till next year.

Keep your word, and fulfil your contract that you agreed to. That would be the right thing to do.

• Like 2

what are the terms of the new offer? I mean, if you're talking about a huge difference then it may be worth it. People change sponsorships all the time

Is there a way to end a sponsorship contract you have signed on hook it? I accepted a 2 year deal for a lousy offer in 2010 and have been offered a better deal from another company that I would like to accept. However they are competing companies so obviously I cant accept them both.

:):banghead::cheers:

OK! your're "sponsored" from "hook it"..... :smirk::foul::ride:

do you get free gear and most importantly get PAID? ......No? you've got a pro deal for being OK at what you do! Move to the better deal and don't just say that you're sponsored when you're NOT!............unless you get paid! per race or performance (with unlimited free gear)! :lol:

:):banghead::cheers:

OK! your're "sponsored" from "hook it".....:smirk::foul::ride:

do you get free gear and most importantly get PAID? ......No? you've got a pro deal for being OK at what you do! Move to the better deal and don't just say that you're sponsored when you're NOT!............unless you get paid! per race or performance (with unlimited free gear)!:lol:

This. ^^^

Seriously. A real sponsorship would have attorney involved in signing contracts.

Getting a discount for giving out your name and paying them is not sponsrship. It is a marketing method.

A phone call or email to your current sponsor explaining that you have a better offer for the coming season would be the courteous thing to do.

As William1 pointed out, these are pro deals, not true sponsorships. They sell product to us at the same price they'd sell it to a dealer, so they don't really lose anything. Just the same, life is all about relationships, so don't burn a bridge if you can avoid it.

This. ^^^

Seriously. A real sponsorship would have attorney involved in signing contracts.

Getting a discount for giving out your name and paying them is not sponsrship. It is a marketing method.

I almost sounds like DMS 56 is giving free advertising to his current "sponsor". Discounts are great but real sponsors give you products or services for free. Just because the product I buy comes with the manufacturers logo sticker doesnt mean it goes on my bike. I paid full price and now you want me to advertise for you for free, I dont think so.

• Like 1

Gee, last time I had a sponsorship, I got parts and supplies FREE just for wearing their name, but with a "performance clause". No wins, no goodies. I would also say contact your present sponsor and explain the situation. Who knows, maybe they would be totally OK with you leaving.

:):lol::banghead:

OK! your're "sponsored" from "hook it".....:cheers::lol::smirk:

do you get free gear and most importantly get PAID? ......No? you've got a pro deal for being OK at what you do! Move to the better deal and don't just say that you're sponsored when you're NOT!............unless you get paid! per race or performance (with unlimited free gear)!:lol:

I get free stuff from sponsors I signed on hookit.

as an amatuer rider, sponsors arent lining up at your doorsteps to give you stuff. Hookit is a nice way to find deals.

with my Oneal sposorship i get 50% off gear.

but i mean, if you want to pay full price then go ahead.

Just call the sponsor. Talk to a person. You should have done this already. I had to do this on Hook It this year. Its really no big deal. Each company has the tools to pull their brand off your profile if you terminate. Talk to the company. You need to have a dialog with the companies that support you.