2011 yz250f starting and handling

Im thinking of either getting a ktm 2011 or yz250f 2011, the yz250f still has a carb which owning a 2009 crf250r it has been a pita trying to get it jetted. Also that bike is and was temperamental while starting, are the yz250f's hard to start as well. I heard efi makes bikes way easier to start. If i do get the yz250f i would also send the carb to tokyo mods to have it jetted. what about throttle response? Is there a huge difference between efi and the carb. I also want to know how well the yz250f handles, with it being the lightest bike out there it may seem like it would handle great, i also plan later on to revalve the suspension.

one if i was going to get a efi bike ktm would be the one i would not buy, there always failing here in the uk. i could go on and on about ktm how bad they are built. from frames snaping to engines going pop staight away. i would get a 2011 yam over a ktm anyday. never rode an 11. i had a 06 and now a 07 yam both been great bikes. will get a new yam next year. The 2012 is ment to be a great bike from reviews but there not bringing them into the uk which is a shame for me

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/MXA-PERFORMANCE-GUIDE-TO-THE-2011-YAMAHA-YZ250F-8235.aspx theres what mxa did to the yz250f but it seems like they went a little overboard with the engine mods. Heres also the test for the 2011 and it doesnt seem like it does anything very good? http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/2011-YAMAHA-YZ250F-MOTOCROSS-TEST-THE-LAST-250-FOU-7556.aspx

really? I heard they were pretty reliable out here in the states?

some people love them and some people hate them. nice looking bikes and they do ride well. 2 lads i ride with both had ktm, they both seized up. Every person i speak to that have ktm have all had problems with the fi on the bike, when getting water in there. i know kawi use the same fi as ktm but you here it more on the ktms for some reason must be where its positioned. ye and there was alot of frames snapping at the head stock..

A wise man once told me that KTMs are a lot like Mercedes. They look good, they ride good, somewhat of a status symbol but once it breaks you have to sell you first born child, liver, spleen and one testicle to have it repaired. If you're going to repair it yourself then just your testicles will do.

A wise man once told me that KTMs are a lot like Mercedes. They look good, they ride good, somewhat of a status symbol but once it breaks you have to sell you first born child, liver, spleen and one testicle to have it repaired. If you're going to repair it yourself then just your testicles will do.

all 4 strokes would cost me a lot since i would not be able to even do a top end :bonk: I kinda wanted to go back to my roots with a 2 stroke 150sx but its rough out here on the hard packed tracks and trails(which is what most everything is). Parts dont cost more for ktm though?

My 2008 yz250f starts first or 2nd kick every time.

Doing the top end on a 4 stroke isn't that difficult. If you can do a 2 stroke, then you are capable of doing the few extra steps to do a 4 stroke.

hows the power and handling? I really liked how light the 250 weighed at the dealer. Then again it had no gas oil or anything but still felt extremely light

Mine has a 290 big bore kit on it. The power is plenty for me (C-Senior hare scrambler). I don't think it's any lighter than the other 4 strokes out there, but I like it. I've found it to be very reliable. I think it has a good reputation for being reliable.

i do appreciate the ktm's but there four strokes just arnt that good. and the price of parts is just stupid. the Yamaha has more power, last longer, is lighter, and handles better as the 2011 ktm went to linkage which some how they stuffed up and is just shit. if you get it jetted right, there is no possible way of knowing. although the katos have a little lighter throttle and clutch which i like but i still prefer the yammie

I had previously been running Suzuki 4strokes (and Yamaha 2strokes) and never got along well with previous Yamaha 4strokes. However reliability issues (with my Suzukis) and updates from Yamaha in 2010 turned me on to the newest YZ250F. I must say, it is the best bike I've owned. Reliability is everything you can ask for. The bikes just feels much more quality than my Suzukis, in every aspect. The fasteners are more durable (which I always hated about my RMs), the pegs are nice and wide, clamps are as good as aftermarket ones etc. the list goes on. I have no problem with the carb. My bikes always starts and hasn't bogged. The most I've experienced is a slight hesitation on g-outs. I plan on getting an R&D powerbowl to fix that. Top end power does sort of hang compared to some of the other bikes but easily comes back witha few small mods. I got an exhaust, twin-air filter, Air4orce air boot and went down a tooth on the rear sprocket and the bike rips. Stock suspension is great. Handling is very precise while still being stable. Only complaint would be if its wet/flat the front end will skate a bit. It's so easy to ride this bike fast and mistake-free. Hope that helps.