FMF Customer Service

Just bought a new Gnarly pipe for my CR500. Opened it up, and one of the O-rings was missing. Called FMF, asked for a new o-ring, and was told since I didn't buy it from the factory, I get no o-ring, and I have no warranty. I said "ok, sell me one" I was told I have to buy an o-ring kit for $10, including 2 o-rings and 2 springs. I figured no big deal, I needed new springs anyway...but...my bike take 4 springs. I brought this up to Bryce, and was informed I would only get 2, go find 2 somewhere else. When I informed Bryce that the instructions specificially called for new springs so the header doesn't crack, which would void my non-existant warranty, I got the same answer, get 2 somewhere else, or re-use the old ones since you don't have a warranty anyways. This is crap, and I'm regretting the fact that I have FMF pipes on every one of my dirtbikes, as now I have to advertise for a company that isn't that concerned with my satisfaction.

Edited by ThaDoublej

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have FMF on everything i own and have never had anything but top notch customer service from them.I just ordered a pipe and silencer and some other stuff yesterday from them.....and sure enough....They were polite and shipped the same day.Maybe Bryce was having a heavy flow day and feeling unloved....Call em back and ask for someone else and ill just bet you get what you were after.....Company's don't last almost 40 year's with crap service.

I got them back on the phone, talked to a supervisor this time, who argued with me that there was no way my bike had 4 springs. I actually had to pull my bike out of the shed in the middle of a Colorado winter, with him on the phone, and count the springs. He's going to 'call me back' after he looks into it further. I told him I just need a 50 cent o-ring to keep me from considering a competitor in the future, and was informed that all of thier parts kits show up pre-packaged, they can't just rip one open and send me an o-ring. On my first call, when they assumed I was in the system and had purchased direct, they were completely willing to just mail me an o-ring...guess someone bought the last loose o-ring while we were on the phone, eh? They do, however, just have a bin of springs laying around somewhere, and would be happy to sell me a kit with 2 rings and 4 springs, once they call me back of course.

I got them back on the phone, talked to a supervisor this time, who argued with me that there was no way my bike had 4 springs. I actually had to pull my bike out of the shed in the middle of a Colorado winter, with him on the phone, and count the springs. He's going to 'call me back' after he looks into it further. I told him I just need a 50 cent o-ring to keep me from considering a competitor in the future, and was informed that all of thier parts kits show up pre-packaged, they can't just rip one open and send me an o-ring. On my first call, when they assumed I was in the system and had purchased direct, they were completely willing to just mail me an o-ring...guess someone bought the last loose o-ring while we were on the phone, eh? They do, however, just have a bin of springs laying around somewhere, and would be happy to sell me a kit with 2 rings and 4 springs, once they call me back of course.

It's a sign of the times in this economy, nobody gets nothing for free anymore. Customer service is out the window it seems too bad.

Save yourself the trouble of dealing with them. Head to an auto parts store with the one good O ring they sent you and just match it up.

And before you all start in on matching the rubber compound, Viton or the durometer, they all work. Last Cometic kit I purchased, I noted that they had the O ring sizes right on the package. I went through McMaster Carr (the good ol' days when I had the employee discount) and got a pack of 25 of the same size for under $2. They were a softer compound but I haven't noticed any difference.

fmf specializes in pipes that fit poorly and backs it up with service to match. And the attitude starts at the top. Quit using their stuff many years ago.

this. i bought an exhaust that supposedly would bolt on to my bike. yeah right, i still had to drill a few holes to get it to mount up "properly". trash is what i say.

If they get back to you with some more BS shoot the story to twmx or racerx, or atleast on their forums, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns some heads on there and you magically get what you need.

good luck!

when i get my 12 in teh spring you can be sure i'm getting a yosh pipe for it, just to be different then everyone here with their fmf crap?

I had a similar situation with FMF back when I raced 125s .Years later I had a issue with my Dr D exhaust. You would have think they were related to me in the manner the went out if their way to help fix the situation.

Electrosport treated me like FMF. I make sure Anyone I like will know that when they are buying a dual sport kit.

Advertising cost so much, people dont have money with the economy to buy crap and get treated like crap when they just want to have a little fun o. the weekend. I would think any company that is still around would at least be just not a douchebag to customers never mind go out of their way to help l

I have had multiple run in's with poor customer service. 1st time I called I asked what re-pack kit I need to re-pack my FMF 4.1, they had no friggen idea, they sent me the wrong packing! 2nd time I called I was wanting an insert for my 4.1 that was smaller than the stock insert but larger than the 94db insert. I suggested the "Rev Tube", but they said it definitely would not fit, no way in hell. Well guess what, I bought it and who would have thought...humm IT FITS FINE.

How the eff can the "technical" advisers not know anything about their products?

Thats terrible to hear, shame on FMF for not honoring your purchase, a new FMF pipe weather from ebay or amazon or anywhere else should be covered imo.
Why? Why should they honor a warranty for a pipe that was sold by a non-authorized third party? The seller should be the one that has the burden of servicing the warranty.