Forgot to put the air filter back in......

Yes a mans worst nightmare. the unthinkable happened. I gave my bike to a buddy to do some work on it and he gave it back without the air filter. I ended up riding it twice with no air filter here in sandy Florida. It wasnt dusty at all but its sand based tracks we rode on.

I noticed something wrong when the throttle started to get sticky. I was messing with the tube thinking that was the problem and obviously it was dirt in the carb making the slide stick. I have it in my garage now but is there anything I can do to fix it? I plan on taking the carb apart. Do i take the bowl off or the whole thing? Any other tips?

My buddy said I should just get rid of it because its ruined. Is this true?

You won't know if it can be fixed unless you try it. I would take apart the carb and thoroughly clean it (slide, jets, float bowl) and also be peeking in the top end to see if there is any significant damage from sand getting in there.

A two-stroke that eats sand will typically need crank bearings, lower rod bearing, piston and rings, and a re-plate.

A four-stroke that eats sand will need the piston and rings, a re-plate, and a valve job.

Both will need the carb and intake tract cleaned.

Just because the bike is still running does not mean there is no damage.

there's no need for that.... besides, i just got me a brand new ktm 250 sx a couple weeks ago. and i know better than to buy a used 4 stroke, ANY 4 stroke for that matter

*EDIT*

hey this is my opinion but let's not turn this into another 2t vs 4t thread. a 2t with sand in the engine will be equally screwed, but it will cost a lot less to rebuild.

Yes a mans worst nightmare. the unthinkable happened. I gave my bike to a buddy to do some work on it and he gave it back without the air filter. I ended up riding it twice with no air filter here in sandy Florida. It wasnt dusty at all but its sand based tracks we rode on.

I noticed something wrong when the throttle started to get sticky. I was messing with the tube thinking that was the problem and obviously it was dirt in the carb making the slide stick. I have it in my garage now but is there anything I can do to fix it? I plan on taking the carb apart. Do i take the bowl off or the whole thing? Any other tips?

My buddy said I should just get rid of it because its ruined. Is this true?

I wouldn't leave my driveway without a pre-flight check. If this "friend" is someone you trust, I can almost see why you wouldn't. still...

Sucks man! just start taking it apart and replace parts as needed!

#1 reason why I don't let others work on my stuff! bike, truck... anything!

#2 reason why I always leave my air box cover on after working on/washing my bike till my clean filter is ready to go back on! can't start that way...

and for you guys saying it's time to sell it....REALLY? what's wrong with you? pass on your mistake crap to the next guy! your parents should have taught you better than that! SAD! Karma's a bitch remember that!!!