Another tire thread

Okay, so not a thread about what tire is the best, but one about what a guy can, can't and shouldn't do.

I am getting up the guts to change my tires on a plated 91 XR600R. When I bought it, I had grand plans of using it to chase my boys around the trails of western Washington. That turned out to be a bad choice when your 6 year old is on an xr50. So I bought a CRF250X for riding with the boys.

The pig has become something of a passion. When I got it she was beat. Bt slowly I have changed bearings, sprockets, chain, cam chain, sand/paint the plastics and cleaned the heck out of it. I really love that bike.

Long story short, I want to get some dot tires on it. I will take my first plunge in changing tires and just wanted to get some lessons learned from the forum. I also wanted to know about balancing. Right now it has rim locks and I was wondering if I would be okay with taking them off and properly balancing the tires with weights. I don't ride it hard and it's main function will be taking asphalt to find some dirt roads and trails in the area. Riding hard will be reserved for the CRF.

So, fire off any comments. What tools do I need? Where do i start? What should I watch out for? Should I replace the tubes? Tips, techniques and lessons are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

I have been running non-dot tires for thousands of miles.... if you don't care about Johnny law

I have kind been doing tha for a while. All she really has is a plate and I need to get at least a mirror on it to be kind of legit. The tires I have on it now are the old ones from when bought it and the are a little worn, missing nibs and crap. She does need new buns.

I guess I am not stuck on dots. Just figured the dots would smooth out the ride a little bit. But I do need new ones since the ones i have now a pretty much shot.

On another note...back to two rim locks. Do I need to drill out another hole on the other side? I don't think my rims are set up for two.

I never go below 10psi in the rear and 14psi in the front so thats why it isn't an issue. i don't want to risk having a pinched flat and the traction isn't that much better.

The beauty of using a rimlock or rimlocks is should you get a flat in the middle of nowhere or even 10-20 miles from home on the freeway you can still ride it home as the tire doesn't break it's seal from the rim., If it breaks the seal which happens without rimlocks in about 1 minute the bike becomes pretty much uncontrollable,,Other way around it's still rideable,,just need to be a bit more careful going into corners,,straights aren't an issue.,bit of wander but not really a problem.,Excellent training should you ever have to cope with a day of greasy clay or mud riding.,.

Edited by Horri