Sign in to follow this  

how-to buy KDX

Hi,

I'm going to go all over town this weekend to look at a few KDX from

Craigslist. I've no experience with 2 strokes, but a lot with 4 strokes. And

I have not ridden anything as powerful as a KDX. My current ride is only a lowly XR200 four stroke. I plan to buy a newer KDX that hasn't been abused or neglected, and I'm willing to pay for it. What do I need to look out for when buying a KDX?

pretty reliable bikes, look for a low use,original bike as you can find. If you can find one with a pipe and silencer vs a same condition stocker, grab it. Check for worn suspension bushings, chain and sprockets. Avoid anything that looks beat, plenty of clean ones can be had for $1000.

same stuff you would look for on any dirt bike, linkage/swingarm/steering bearings are always what I check first, it's a good way to get the price knocked down

Bought one! A KDX220R. Not sure how it's different from a regular 200. But it looks decent enough. Not as cherry as I would like, but the seller was nearby. The only defect I notice is the front sprocket. Every tooth has broken tip. The rear looks fine. Where do I buy replace sprocket? How do I check the chain? Which manual should I buy? I need to figure out to do regular maintenance like change oil, fluid, etc.

There is not much difference from the 200 to the 220R. Carb size and top end.

If you are close to Houston you are welcome to come over and I can show you how to check and adjust everything.

if you can swing it, replace chain and both sprockets at same time. Chain tension and sprocket wear will be more even. Remember to use loctite on rear sprocket bolts

if you can swing it, replace chain and both sprockets at same time. Chain tension and sprocket wear will be more even. Remember to use loctite on rear sprocket bolts

yeh you never want to but a new sprocket but leave the old chain, the old chain will wear the new sprocket right back down to where the old one was.

just be careful of the piston and jug, the 220 is notorious for bad topend problems, only with the stock piston however... other than that, just jet it right and make sure you

There is not much difference from the 200 to the 220R. Carb size and top end.

If you are close to Houston you are welcome to come over and I can show you how to check and adjust everything.

I disagree. From a performance standpoint there is a huge difference. The 200revs much higher, while the 220 is s total low end tractor, but falls flat very quickly.

The FMF Turbine Core 2 seems too loud. If I replace it with stock muffler for quietness, would the carb need to be rejetted?

the stock is not much better. the stock pipe is the deal maker on quietness. its really thick and combined with the stock silencer they can be quiet. the stock silencer is good because packing never gets shot, because there is none!