Sign in to follow this  

Choke won't stay engaged.

The choke lever on my little brother's bike will not stay engaged. You have to hold it down, which is a pain, especially since it's a cold blooded son of a gun. It is a 23mm mikuni i believe, and the choke is at the top of the carb.

I remember reading that there may be something gummed up inside that is causing this? Any basic knowledge on what to look for would be helpful.

Forgive me, I know i've read this somewhere on this forum, but I can't find it again for the life of me. I think it was posted by Krannie...

Normally, you replace the lever/knob assy, the detent is worn out. Please also post the make, model and year of the bike so more specific information may be provided if applicable.

Normally, you replace the lever/knob assy, the detent is worn out. Please also post the make, model and year of the bike so more specific information may be provided if applicable.

I have the same problem on my GasGas' PWK carb. I keep a mini-bungee cord wrapped around my handle bars, so when I need the choke, I take the cord and hook one end of the cord to the button and the other to the rad shroud to hold it up. It's ghetto, I'll admit, but I refuse to put one extra penny into that sh*tbox.

JayC

Well, that is the wrong thing to do. All posts regarding a bike belong in the appropriate forum. There are many types of carbs. There can be mutiple types of chokes. You are asking for everyone to give you an explanation of style choke and every style carb because you do not want to divulge the bike.

Once again, I apologize. I have found that most of the information I get to help fix my bikes comes from other forums, rather than the forums they belong to. I will refrain from doing this in the future.

Mine wont stay up either... you could replace the plunger. While your in there fatten up the pilot jet a little and it will start a lot easier, then you wont need the choke as much.

Did you try tightening the screw on the pivot? It should do something positive, if only for the short term.