Sign in to follow this  

differences between 04 and 05 yz125?

hey everyone,

i am going to be trading my yz250f for a 125. 2 guys have offered both of these year models. now their both basically stock and the guy with the 05 wants more. im just wanting to know what the differences were between the two years. did they put the aluminum frame on in 05? thanks

Yes the 05 has the al frame and vitually everything was changed between 04 and 05. At one time or another my son raced 98, 99 and 04 YZ125's. The 04 was the slowest...lol

Almost everything changed in 05. It got a new alloy frame, new forks, new front brake hose routing, all-new engine, 6-gear transmission and some little stuff. I believe the 05 is around 6lbs lighter than the 04.

Alum. frame is a big selling point, but the 6 speed tranny is a must have. The 5 speed tranny was just a wrong move IMHO.

Ill never buy another 5 speed 125

Yup, the 05 was a completely new bike other than the plastic. The 05 was way faster than the 02-04 generation, with a much broader powerband and a 6 speed transmission. I'd go with the 05 as long as it is priced appropriately for it's age.