Sign in to follow this  

Replacing the oil seal on the drive sprocket...

I have a 1991 XR250L with around 4,000 miles... The thing runs great, but is having a slight oil leak from the drive sproket. This spring I plan on replacing the oil seal. My question is, since I have to split the case to replace the seal, is there anything else you would recommend I do for some preventitive maintenance since I have to split the case anyways?

Thanks,

Jim

Are you sure the case has to be split to replace the seal? If I'm not mistaken, it can be replaced from outside the case. No need to split the cases.

Lets see what others say.

I posted this same thing a couple months and thought I had to split the cases to remove the seal as well, atleast on a 04 xr250 you dont have to split the cases. Take the drive sprocket off and there is an e-clip holding the seal in. Saved me a lot of headache after I found this out!

I posted this same thing a couple months and thought I had to split the cases to remove the seal as well, atleast on a 04 xr250 you dont have to split the cases.
I just checked the ServiceHonda.com parts fiche - e-clip on the newer 1996 and up XR250R engine. :lol:

Looking at the seal, it has these little "ears" that keeps it from sliding out. Only way to get it in, it looks like, is from the inside.

Jim

Looking at the seal, it has these little "ears" that keeps it from sliding out. Only way to get it in, it looks like, is from the inside.

Jim

I agree with Coopz and Crazyfast. You're replacing the seal. It's not like you have to be careful not to destroy it taking it out.

Bend/fold the OD of the seal in on itself. That will decrease it's diameter and allow you to pull it out from the outside of the case.

If the new seal has some sort of tabs along the OD of the seal preventing full insertion into the bore, file them down.

I'd do that before splitting the cases.

I have replaced two countershaft seals on pre '96 250s from the outside, the diffucult part is getting the old seal out without damaging the seal seat in the case. Carefully drill 4 holes (or more) around the circumference of the seal body, don't drill all the way through. Use an awl or anything that will fit into the holes, place a block of wood on the case to use as a fulcrum and remove the seal by prying a little at a time around the seal, be careful so that no pieces of the seal fall into the case. Cut the tabs off the new seal and clean the seal edge and seal seat with carb cleaner or lacquer thinner. Apply a thin coat of Permatex bearing mount to the seal seat and seal edge and carefully drive it in flush with the case.

Creeky,

Thanks for the tip!!! Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but please humor me(not a mechanic). When you drive the seal in from the outside, what keeps it in place? If it slides a little, will it still seal fine, or will it produce a leak? Thanks for your time,

Jim