350 filter cage

Thought I would start a new thread to gather some info... As mentioned in the other post the air filter needs help. Tore the bike down for the bearing recall and was horrified to see that there were scratches and particles in the airboot revealing stuff getting past the filter.

I understandthe 350 really pulls hard on the filter. Is this simply because it revs high? Can someone explain why it happens on this bike. I have read suggestions that say to go to a ktm 2 stroke cage to guard against sucking in the screen.

I run a pro seal and I am very good with filter maintenance. Guess I will have to go with the DT1 cage. Thoughts?

Not only does it pull hard but it pulls hard in a small area of the filter, so if you let the entire filter get dirty I think you may have waited to late to clean it. I'm not a big fan of the filter placement on the KTM and mine gets dirty quicker than my jap bikes. I ride sand tracks mostly and I have to change my filter regularly.

I use No Toil and the rim grease and I haven't experienced any dirt getting past unless I wait to long to change the filter.

The filter just sits to low on the bike and gets dirty way easier than Jap bikes IMO.

Jason

Hmmm .... the air filter on my 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F seems "flatter" in profile.

Perhaps that translates to less square inches of filtering area? Which means that it's pulling more vaccum on less filter?

Does anyone know if the filters are "thinner" that previous years?

E-Ticket

Ok-this is about the 3rd time i repeat this.It's a cheap and easy fix for all filter problems you might encounter:

First of all get a 250 SX filter cage without backfire screen. The screen eventually starts falling apart anyway so replaced it right away with the stock part of the 250 2-stroke.Cost about 10$

The 350 needs a lot of revs and a lot of air as well.I recommend to get the dust-cover from KTM. It is a orange coloured kind of a "filter-skin" made by Twin-Air and offered as a original KTM spare part. Not only keeps it the dust and dirt out but it allows you to get away with let's say 3 times less filter changes! I used these covers on my Honda 125s as well and it really keeps any dirt away from your filters while not restricting airflow at all. The plastic-like texture won't get sucked with filter oil from the filter underneath so it stays dry and really let's just fall all the dust and dirt off of the filter.Unlike real filter-skins which get clogged as well. It's this one:http://www.ktm-parts.com/59006022000.html

Cost for a pair: ca. 20$

C'mon guys-me too i was hesitant as we all know how sticky the original filter skins can get.Those clog as well as they stick to the filter underneath.Not so these orange covers which sit loose above the filter and they have a plastic-like texture.No chance for any dirt or dust to stick on it. Those things are almost transparent and paperthin.It really is THE perfect solution to keep your filters clean. I witnessed that thing on my friends 350 when i was changing filters halfway through a regular day of practice on a sandy track while his filter was still absolutely perfect. Also after 2 full days of riding his filter still was like new while i went through 4 fresh filters on my little 125cc Honda...i immediately ordered those covers for me as well and ever since changing filters isn't an issue anymore.I can now do several days of riding without changing filters at all ! A clean filter lets through all the air a motor needs-helps in the power department, keeps maintenance to a minimum and is a safe way to get longer life out of our engines.

DO IT ! You never spent 20$ on a part that is such a big improvement.

By the way - the second picture shows them "wet" just after i rinsed them with soapy water.They are cleaned in 30 seconds and since they are plastic they dry in a couple of minutes as well. Really cool!

twinair1.jpg

twinair2.jpg

Edited by nino

Theonly thing I don't like is having to release the filter keeper to take the skin off. I guess by keeping pressure on the cage its o.k.

Out of curiousity how far does the engine come down for the bearing recall? Am I basically getting a rebuilt engine (internals inspected) with it?. I want a fresh start with these skins that Nino showed us!

Theonly thing I don't like is having to release the filter keeper to take the skin off. I guess by keeping pressure on the cage its o.k.

Out of curiousity how far does the engine come down for the bearing recall? Am I basically getting a rebuilt engine (internals inspected) with it?. I want a fresh start with these skins that Nino showed us!

Just remember that you won't have to get that skin off a lot anyway. IF i do i pop in a new filter as well. But as mentioned that's after a lot of riding.

• 4 weeks later...

If you do take that backfire screen out by going with a the 250 sx cage, you better get a backfire resistant filter. Twin air and No Toil makes one, not sure who else. I have personally seen a regular Uni filter after the backfire screen was removed, and there was a hole in it where it melted it.:bonk: Just got to make sure the filter says backfire resistant. Its a good idea to have.

+1 ? on the dust cover

I just ordered a 150/250cage for the 350. I think the pro seal is a must on these bikes as well.

ill take a photo of the DT1 filters they come with a rubber type seal on the filter

i do not work for DT1 but i do know the owner he is super cool but the products are very good

ill take a photo of the DT1 filters they come with a rubber type seal on the filter

i do not work for DT1 but i do know the owner he is super cool but the products are very good

That would be excellent. I am thinking the No Toil I am using is toast. Well, definately needs a better replacement schedule because they seem to clap out quickly.?

i use to use no-toil filter oil but i never really liked the way dries, i have been using Moose filter oil and its the best filter oil ive used so far! i do still like the no-toil powder cleaner

i fill the sink up with hot water and a little powder and toss 3 dirty filters in there and im good to go for another 3 rides, it lasts along time unlike the liquid cleaner