Sign in to follow this  

Power valve adjuster! check it out...

This a review I wrote over on ktmtalk. This is a cool piece of equipment for ktm 250's and 300's.

Every once in awhile an idea pops up that just makes sense. This is one of those ideas. Simple and effective.

I'm one of the majority of riders that have one bike that I use to do it all. I ride and race motocross and gp's. I enjoy technical tight trails and epic rides that destroy bikes and bodies. I ask alot of my bike.

So when I saw squirrelmaster's post about this, I got excited. Up to now I have been using a bladed screw driver to tweak my power valve. So it was either at the truck in between motos or carry a screwdriver and have to fish it out when the terrain changed.

Fast forward to the arrival of my PowerDial. It is a piece of billet art. Subtle bling.

Mounting is simple... Lean the bike over, remove two 8mm bolts, unthread the oem pv adjuster and thread in the PowerDial. It took me 8 minutes, including cleaning the surrounding area, taking pictures and sipping coffee.

I rode 6 moto practice sessions the 1st day it was on my bike. PV settings are a personal thing. Each rider will have a variety of preferences for varying terrain. I adjusted the pv from full out to 5 turns in. I found a setting that worked for me early in the day when conditions were ideal. As the track deteriorated I found a different setting that helped maintain traction and control, all while on the track, seated on the bike and the motor running.

So on to day 2. I went to Glen Helen for an annual Christmas GP. :55 + 1 lap (each lap was 10+ minutes). Glen Helen is known for being rough and dry. The wind was howling and dust was blowing. The course included the national track, REM track, long sandy washes and hard pack dirt roads. Traction was scarce. So knowing what I learned the day before I dialed in 3 turns on the PowerDial and lined up with my fellow vets. Optimal traction in 10 seconds.

I'm still experimenting with settings and recording data. I had a major fork seal failure during my race so the bike is down for the weekend. I will update this thread as I get time on the unit.

For more info go to www.kreftmoto.com

that is one of the coolest gadgets ever! I got my 2012 250 SX a couple weeks ago and i haven't messed with the power valve springs or the adjustment just yet. However i tried disconnecting the wire at the CDI for the mellower delivery and it really helped with arm pump when i was fatigued. I got a handlebar switch on order right now and it looks like i have something else to add to my list. The amount of tuning that can be done on these bikes is unreal!

is there a risk of that backing all the way out and falling off the bike or is there something there to stop that from happening?

is there a risk of that backing all the way out and falling off the bike or is there something there to stop that from happening?

Dingateer-

The device has stops machined into it at both extremes of travel, so you can't thread it in or our too far. It won't vibrate or rattle, and it folds neatly flush against the cases when not in use...out of harm's way.

any chance you'll be making some for the 200's? i would definitely use one of those

Clapped -

At the moment, it's only available for the 250/300. But sit tight for a couple months :bonk:

Another guy here waiting for one that will work on the new 200.

Please advise when available.

Looks so perfect!

yeah i would buy one of those for my 08 200 for sure!

1/2 a turn makes a big difference to me, and frankly it's a PITA to adjust on the fly.

count me in!

Engineering one to work with the 200 will be a little different a litt more involved, but it could likely be done.