Sign in to follow this  

Running sweet, need to get it on the road now

I took a little video to show how sweet my old XR250R runs with a Keihin XR250L pumper carb freshened up with a carby kit and (partially) re-jetted

This project seemed to be never ending, Fix one thing find another thing, But it is getting very close to getting it on the road

Just need to sort out the headlight & taillight wiring (Waiting for some bullet male & female connectors to arrive) Get a new dualsport front tyre fitted, Fit the trailtech vapor speedo (when it arrives from the USA) and dash, Apart from doing a general service that should hopefully be it for a while? :lol:

Looks like the throttle cable has too much slack... :lol:

As soon as I seen this bike I had to have it, It is damn tidy especially now, I dont think it even went off road much at all if any? It still has all the factory stickers on the frame, forks & swingarm etc (I removed the tank ones) and nothing has been butchered although it did have some parts missing for some stupid reason someone decided to strip parts from it, I had to hunt up a carby, Front brake caliper, Top & bottom front brake hose guides, Headlight, Side covers, Speedo, Fork boots and a few other odds and ends

Yes I agree it looks like the throttle cable has slack but is the audio (delay) not in sync with the video so it looks like there is a delay when I hit the throttle

Anyone who has or had the hesitation/bog trouble with there bike will no how snappy mine sounds if you just listen to the audio especially

Glad it starts & runs better than this one anyway>

Sounds like there is no fuel what so ever getting through the pilot jet

There is some funny videos on there, I love seeing people trying to kickstart a 4-stroke like a 2-stroke

nice work mate... glad shes runnin well... bike looks mint... where did you pick up the seat cover / tank stickers ??

cheers

I got the seat cover and graphics from ebay (USA), I had a quick look and cant find the same seller and graphics/seat cover kit

I think I would go for a different seat cover and graphics set though next time, It did only cost about $60AUD for the kit delivered from the USA but you get what you pay for, The seat cover is not too bad but the graphics just dont seem to want to stick real well, Just a known problem though with plastic tanks and graphics, Some brands seem to work better though

I would not mind one of the XR's-ONLY or a complete black gripper style seat cover and some better graphics of some kind? Any recommendations for seat covers & graphics that would suit my bike, I think some black would help break up the bright white & red

I would like to find a mint red tank for it too just see what it looks like

yeah 60 bucks is pretty cheap... guess you get what you pay for... i m looking for a nice red xr4 tank as well.. they always seem to go for pretty good money on ebay...

i m thinking about these tank graphics for my bike

https://www.denniskirk.com/factory-effex/evo-8-series-graphic-kit.p5202154.prd/5202154.sku

i reckon they d look good... even with a white tank...

where in oz are you ?? i m from s/w WA

cheers

There is some funny videos on there, I love seeing people trying to kickstart a 4-stroke like a 2-stroke

I laugh when people think they need to use the compression release on my little XR250... You just need to kick it each time like a real man.... :lol: My 275#'s probably helps too...:foul:

I tested the compression on mine a few weeks ago and it was 205#'s. I guess for a girl or a small guy the release would help... :lol:

If it doesn't start you with one kick don't let the kickstart lever return to avoid any kickback until the engine stops spinning. I don't have a cable from my kickstarter to the comression release. The only time I use the compression release is if its flooded.

Mine starts with one or two kicks cold or hot. :lol:

I use a XL600R clutch mount and lever on my XR250R. I use the choke lever for my compression release. It works great for me and allows me to narrow the bars even more. :banghead:

I found that there is no need to find TDC after owning XR/XL600's and 650's. :ride: They teach you how to kick hard. They are harder to kick when you after you get them past TDC then a 250 kicks without using the release or finding TDC.

At 275 pounds I still can't kick them past TDC without the compression release unless I stand on the lever for about 10 seconds. :)

Not that I would want to try with 600cc's or more without the release any why. :cheers:

:smirk:

TNT>

Im not sure exactly what is inside my 250 motor or when or even if it has been rebuilt but it does have heaps of compression, I dont have the decompression lever & cable or the kick start to decompression cable either, No need for them if you know how to start a 4-stroke

I learnt many years ago the hard way (no decompression lever) on my first big 4-stroke which was an 85 DR600, One very sore right foot and 500K's of riding and I had it figured out

OZCAL>

The graphics you have in mind look pretty sweet, Would suit a red tank (& black gripper seat cover) better though, I would keep the airbox graphics in with your spares or give them to someone you dont like

Your from s/w (WA) Washington or Western Australia Im guessing going by your username?

Im about 2k's from the beach on the northern NSW coast with miles of national park & sweet riding west (north & south too) of me

Yeah thats what I thought, Western Australia, Close enough to California :bonk:

I bet there is some nice riding out there? Different to what I have here, Pretty good mixture of terrain and enviroments around here

Just noticed I need a new chain slider now too, It is broken away a little bit near the front sprocket, Dont wanna risk it breaking away completely and the chain gouging into my very sweet new lookin swingarm, Oh well guess the bike will be near new when I get it on the road

hey mate, im selling a bit of gear from my XR250, got heaps of different parts here from it. pm me if your chasing anything.

BTW where bouts in northern nsw are you? im between kempsey and coffs harbour.

Waiting on my chain slider to get here from the USA then its finally ready for a blue slip, Hopefully it will be here tomorrow or next week sometime?

What did the rego/green slip cost you Coopz? PM me

Do you come into Coffs often? I know there would be heaps of good riding spots where you are, Im looking for a nice bit of flat grassy paddock for my kids to learn, I can go to a few places but mostly rough terrain