Sign in to follow this  

2005 KTM 450 EXC plated with only 30 miles or newer 450/530

I am in the market for a dual sport and I found a brand new 2005 450 EXC that is plated with a baja designs dual sport kit for 4K. The bike is literally brand new and ready to go but I don’t know how much better the newer 450’s and 530’s are that the old gold frame models.

The bike would be used for mostly trail riding and only on the street to get to and from the trails.

What would you do?????

The older RFS bikes were extremely reliable. Many people prefer that engine over the 08 - 11 bikes because they carry more oil and seem to run forever. The newer bikes have better suspension. For dual sporting I would go with the older RFS bike. For strictly off road I would go with the newer bikes. Spend some time searching KTMTalk and you will find more info than you can stand.

CoKTM

The older RFS bikes were extremely reliable. Many people prefer that engine over the 08 - 11 bikes because they carry more oil and seem to run forever. The newer bikes have better suspension. For dual sporting I would go with the older RFS bike. For strictly off road I would go with the newer bikes. Spend some time searching KTMTalk and you will find more info than you can stand.

CoKTM

Thanks for the info.

The motor is the one reason why I am considering the older 2005. The only thing really holding me back is the suspension and chassis.

How much better is the newer bikes suspension (even the 06-07)?

What about the weight of the older 05 compared to 06 and up?

I owned on 03 525. I put fork springs in it that were suited for my weight, and a progressive shock spring. It handled well for both technical single track and desert riding. I have ridden the newer KTM’s many times and they handle better but the difference is not huge. The weight difference between the older and newer bikes is insignificant when similarly equipped. With the money you save on the 05 you can have the suspension professionally set up and be equal to (if not better) than the suspension on a newer bike. The biggest advantage of the newer bikes will be resale value. If you plan on keeping the bike for a while I would go with the 05 and and spend a little extra to set it up real nice.

CoKTM