Sign in to follow this  

Bogging, bogging, and more bogging

I've recently restored a 1972 Husqvarna 250wr, and only rebuilt the top-end. My problem is that I can't get rid of the lower-end bogging from closed to one-quarter throttle. I have a new 36mm Mikuni on the bike, and have progressively changes the pilot jets from the stock # 40 all the down to a #25, then all the way back up to a #50, but the motor continued to bog no matter what size pilot I install ? The plug, gasoline, air filter are all new and clean. Can anyone give me some advise on what to do, or try next? Thank you in advance.

What needle and clip position?

Needle plays a huge roll down there.

New Mikuni's are fussy. I can only imagine trying to tune a 72'.

What main jet is in it? It sounds like the pilot circuit is still to lean. If going richer on the pilot doesn't work, raise the needle up a couple of slots and try again. I know it's a dumb question, but is the carb installed in the correct orientation? The choke lever should be on the left hand side.

First of all, I think a 36mm is a bit big for that bike. I think it came with a 34mm or 32mm. In 1972 a hot 175cc used a 30mm. That bike is a piston port and no reed valve. I would check and see what jetting on a Mikuni was on a 1972 250cc Suzuki . That was a piston port engine also. Or 1971 Yamaha.

I run a 32mm on my 1973 Cr125 and it's fine. 36 should be fine for a 250.

Is it a new carb? If not, is the slide worn? Check that the choke (enrichener circuit) is fully closed and sealing. Is the float level OK? Is the float valve shutting off — check the little rubber tip on the float needle for any grooves. Is the pilot circuit clean? If all those different pilot jets didn't make a difference, look in there.