Sign in to follow this  

Shoulder tendon movement causing popping?

I'm just looking for some advice. I recently re-injured my left shoulder by falling on it. I had previously injured this shoulder snowboarding. The first time I didn't go in to have it checked out but after a couple of months it seemed to get better but was not what I'd consider normal for almost a year.

I fell and re-injured and when I tried to move my arm it seemed lock out of place in certain positions. I went in to get it checked and got some xrays. The Xrays revealed a chipped bone floating in my shoulder but they thought it was from the previous injury (based on the rounded edges on the chipped bone). Those Dr's sent me to a orthopaedic doc for and they gave me a CT scan. The CT scan didn't reveal anything conclusive and they left it up to me to do exploratory surgery and fix any problems. I actually thought that the Xray showed the bone chip more clearly than the CT. It just looked like minor scaring on the CT. The orthopaedic Dr. did some motion and strength tests and thought that everything seemed fairly good with the inside of the shoulder. However, they thought that I probably tore the smaller tendon that connects my shoulder to my bicep based on where I have pain ( and based on the huge black and blue bruise on my bicep). They said that they don't fix these tendon tears (I don't know why). Do they heal on their own or should I get a second opinion? My range of motion has improved in the month since the injury but I'm still hurting with certain motions and the thing that seems the worst is the fact that my tendon on the top of my shoulder moves and pops/clicks with certain motions of my shoulder. The orthopaedic Dr said that tendon is probably popping out of it's groove. Is there a way to fix this and is it worth fixing? I'm not sure if I should continue to pursue things further or just give it some time? Should I be exercising the shoulder with motion or would the torn muscle/tendon heal better if I didn't use it?

For what it's worth, the most pain seems to occur when I do the following motion: if I'm laying on my back with my upper arm at my side and my elbow bent at about 90 deg with my hand on my belly and try to push up (like trying to lift blanket off or something). This motion hurts the back outer part of the shoulder joint/muscles (the rear, top of the humorous down to the arm pit). The other part that is really sore is the way top of the shoulder, about an 3/4 of an inch forward from the peak of the shoulder bone, maybe 1/2 or 1 inch before the shoulder curves down to my arm. This is also where I can feel the tendon moving around and making popping noises.

Edited by Rocker01

If you have a dislocating biceps tendon, then you should have it fixed. The diagnosis is made by an experienced Orthopaedic surgeon on physical examination.

Thanks for the response. I'll have to schedule another appointment and get it checked out.

I looked through a lot of posts on here about torn shoulder tendons and it seems that you almost always recommend getting them re-attached. It is strange that my ortho thought that I may have a torn tendon but didn't seem to want to do anything about it.

The Almighty didn't design us with these tendons attached to bone by accident. In the elderly, these problems can be for the most part ingored. In reatively young, healthy, and active people, restoration of the anatomy usually leads to better function.