Sign in to follow this  

New to the mini/pee wee forum and have a question

Hello, well, the time has come to enter the mini/pee wee arena. My daughter is 5 and as luck would have it, I am picking up a CRF50 in a couple of days to give to her for Christmas. I say as luck would have it because I have a son who rides a CR85RB. I have been picking up CR80s and CR85s when I find them cheap. Most of the time they get parted out to purchase or upgrade his (or my older daughter's quad, or my KLX), anyway, saw an add posted for 1 2007 CRF50, his son had moved up to a CR85 and the 85 engine blew, so he was selling the 50 to fix the engine. Well, lo and behold, I have 5 CR85s in my garage, soooooo, I am giving him a good running 04 CR85 motor for the 50!!! Even my wife wasn't too upset since no cash was going outta pocket.

One question I have is:

It needs a rear shock, he said the seal is blown. Is it ridable for my 5 year old daughter as-is? I have looked on ebay and cl and can't find a stock shock out there. There are many shocks available, anyone have any luck with them?

Thanks

Here is a pic of my daughter on my son's bike I just finished for him.

DSCN2793.jpg

And his CR85RB.

DSCN2788.jpg

Thanks

Jim

Hey Jim,

Welcome to the Pee wee forum :lol: You have one cute little girl there. Your 85 restore looks great too.

As to the blown seals, it may be rideable as is but it might be kinda rough. There are a ton of aftermarket shocks you can get. Or hit up ebay, maybe someone is parting it out.

The Thumpertalk store has one listed brand new for $140

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?partcategory=141980&manufacturer=3&category=3&year=2005&model=3354

Your daughter is gonna be one happy girl. Brings back memories

Thanks for the info, does anyone know the length of a stock shock? I find a lot on ebay, but I know most are extended and can't find the stock shock lenght. inches or mmm would be great. I go pick up the bike tomorrow, will have pics and also will put after pics (it's gotta be pink!)

Thanks

Jim

Just look for an eBay ad stating "removed from" or "stock", the pit bike people are going to pay more for an extended length shock. Or just ask the seller. The stockers are really short to begin with. Also, look for XR50 parts as well, they're the same bike.

The XR/CRF50 is a great platform. There was, but probably isn't any more, a governor screw in the throttle assembly. If it's not there, pick up a 6mmX25-35mm screw and a nut from the hardware store. Turn it all the way in and then turn it out to the point where at "full open" the bike will move with you on it. That's gonna be pretty fast with your 50 lb kid on it. Make sure you tighten the jam nut then, it'll back out otherwise.

Also, when she gets to the point where she's learning to shift, the transmission is very sensitive. You need to close the throttle, wait till the motor has spun down enough to disengage the clutch and then shift. Otherwise it will pop the front end up (my kids eventually thought it was a fun thing to do, but in the beginning, not a good thing). For little ones, counting to three after closing the throttle should do.

Other than that, they're great bikes and I couldn't ask for anything more from a trainer bike.

Thanks Smacaroni. I have been lurking in the mini area for a while and know that you guys really know the deal on these bikes. The throttle stop is a great idea. The last thing I want is for her to get on and have a bad experience. It needs to be fun and controllable or else she will not want to ride. I just bought one off ebay so it should be here in a few days. I pick the bike up today (about 3 hours away) and have already ordered pink plastics, a black seat and the shock. I still need to get a back tire and tube but that can be done locally.

Thanks

Jim

I really don't know that much about the XR50. We bought it, the kids rode it, we sold it. It worked and I think I changed the oil and plug once and cleaned the carb before we sold it.

It's got a lot of aftermarket support because of the pit bike crowd. I don't "get" these guys. If you haven't noticed, my "thing" is PW80s. I know them inside and out. But the difference is maybe I've spent $700 for everything I've done to the PW80 we own, that's good, bad or ugly (and I've done a lot of ugly). It started out with the intention of teaching my then 13 year old mechanical stuff and I'll admit it's spiraled into much more. The pit bike people will spend $4-5K to make a kiddie bike rideable for an adult. 5,000 bones buys a really nice adult sized used bike.

I digress. Keep the factory plastics, your daughter will most likely scuff and ding the new ones. When you go to sell, put the best looking plastics on. Changing the tires on this sized wheel is a royal pain in the butt! But I'd suggest taking on the challenge because you'll probably need to do it more than once.

Best of luck, and most importantly, have fun!

Thanks for the input. I got the bike last night, it is kinda rough. I know she will bang up the plastics, but I was amazed how cheap these aftermarket cheap-o plastics are. I think she would appreciate a shiny pink bike. I have changed a few CR85 tires and notice the 14s are a lot harder than the 19s, so I can imagine the 10s will be a ROYAL pain, but I have read a lot of good advice how not to pinch tubes here.

I am with you on the whole pit-bike thing. I can't see how they sink so much money into them, I too would rather have a bigger bike. But she can ride it for a couple of years and if the desire is there, it will be time to look for a PW 80, 65 2 stroke or more of a performance 50. I will let her skill level and desire decide that. I can hold onto the 50 for future grandkids (5 kids, 22, 21, 18, 13, 5).

I am going to start tearing it down tonight, I will be changing the oil, cleaning the carb, changing the plug and seeing where I need to go from there.

Thanks

Jim