Sign in to follow this  

new CRF450 owner questions

Hi all

First post here. Also just getting back into riding after a 15 year hiatus.

I just picked up a 04 crf450 and it needs a clutch other than that it in great condition. The main question I have is what brand to replace the clutch with.

I don't ride tracks mostly desert and mountain trails. Should I just get a stock clutch From Honda or is the a better alternative?

The second question is the bikes cams are not stock the kid I bought the bike from called them (Hot Cams) is this a brand of cams or just his terminology for the cams and if so how do I find out what I've got.

And last but probable should have been my first question is what maintenance and repair manual is suggested

Thanks DonVito

hey, if your doing tight trails, get the reckulse auto clutch, ive heard some great things about them, they are made mostly for trails,hinson,boy they make some great products, alot of pros use them,both in mx and enduros,endurocross,ect. theyre probly your best bet on a clutch if you dont want the whole auto clutch system a bit pricey. hope i helped-josh

1) I hear the Rekluse clutch is supposed to be the way to go, but I have no personal experience, Hinson makes a great clutch set up, Both are pricey. I've never had a problem with the oem clutch personally.

2) Hot Cams is a brand, The cams come in Stage 1 to Stage 3, I would like to have a stage 1 myself. http://www.hotcamsinc.com/ProductSearch.aspx?page=1

3) I have the OEM service manual, found it online..with out telling you the exact location because I don't want TT mods mad at me, I googled "free 04 crf 450 service manual" and clicked the "First" one I saw

Edited by Tucraysz2
typo

Welcome to TT. Not sure what you mean by needs a clutch. If its slipping the friction plates are worn and I would replace with OEM. If it will not disengage/creeps the basket "fingers" are grooved I would replace with a steel basket. I believe most versions of Rekluse clutches do not include these parts, if you choose to go that route. Try a search on this site, there are a bunch posts with good opinions on the route to take. Good Luck.

Ha all

Thanks for the responces yes the clutch wont disengage.

I wont have time to open it up till Monday and inspect the reason of failure.

From what I gather m the PO he ran it with the oil leval low and he thinks

the plates are stuck together.

Ok I got to open up the clutch today and found as many suspected the outer basket is grooved badly the inner is not so bad but should be replaced.

Clutch disks measured 0.120 ok above min spec no hot spots or discoloration.

Springs measured under spec at 1.71 bad just under min spec.

One thing I noticed and need to clarify, before I removed the large retainer center bolt

the clutch basket would wobble side to side lots of play is this normal?

Thanks for the help

Ok I got to open up the clutch today and found as many suspected the outer basket is grooved badly the inner is not so bad but should be replaced.

Clutch disks measured 0.120 ok above min spec no hot spots or discoloration.

Springs measured under spec at 1.71 bad just under min spec.

One thing I noticed and need to clarify, before I removed the large retainer center bolt

the clutch basket would wobble side to side lots of play is this normal?

Thanks for the help

No, not normal...

The clutch on that thing is hammered. It'd be wise to go over the drive gear on the back of the basket with a fine tooth comb.

The basket bushings are going to have problems if it wobbles.

The good thing is its all fixable and wont break the bank.

With a new basket the drive gear is attached correct?

Also are the basket bushings part of new basket assembly

The drive gear is attached. Don't know on the bushings. The stock basket is pretty reasonable price wise.

With a new basket the drive gear is attached correct?

Also are the basket bushings part of new basket assembly

The drive gear is attached to a new OEM basket, but youve gotta use your own if you buy an aftermarket basket.

There is a bushing and a needle bearing that the basket rides on the main shaft. The main shaft is what you bolt the hub too. If the the whole clutch assembly wobbles, the steel insert in the hub has probably shaken loose from the casting and the bushing and or the needle bearing probably needs replaced too.

Youre really not going to know until you pull it all off and look at it.