Sign in to follow this  

This is why you never buy used bikes

You wouldnt buy a bike that sat at idle for a couple minutes? as long as its not loosing too much fluid that is perfectly normal, especially with thin Ti headers in dark lighting. In my garage my pipe will be glowing within a minute, take it outside and you cant even tell.

You wouldnt buy a bike that sat at idle for a couple minutes? as long as its not loosing too much fluid that is perfectly normal, especially with thin Ti headers in dark lighting. In my garage my pipe will be glowing within a minute, take it outside and you cant even tell.

The glowing pipe is caused by running lean. Start your bike cold and hold the hot start lever in, she will be glowing in no time because it is running very lean.

The glowing pipe is caused by running lean. Start your bike cold and hold the hot start lever in, she will be glowing in no time because it is running very lean.

Maybe , maybe not...

That clip was a pointless exercise in "Why Bother."

I'd rather be riding it than standing around watching the pipe get hot...:lol:

I am with the OP...Small things amuse small minds.....flamethrower.gif

I agree but that wasnt idle that thing was revving high

I have a brand new 2011 and my stock pipe glows red. Its perfectly normal, These motors are built to be ridden hard, Not sit there an idle. Every single thumper i have had does this and i have never blown it up. Your in the clear.

It's normal. It freaked me out at first too when my 450 did it. I do think your idle is set way high or your choke was on or something.

I agree this guy is an idiot for doing that and thinking its cool, but honestly its no reason not to buy the bike. My bike has idled for 2 minutes before...

The glowing pipe is okay. Letting your bike sit at 5K RPM for over 2 minutes with no air flowing through the radiator is not okay. You can bake and warp every internal bearing and piece by doing what this guy thought was cool.

Honestly I find the logic idiotic to "only buy new" so you don't get a headache. If you buy used you're going to save a heap of $$ but mentally have to be prepared to rebuild the bike. This is when you send the forks off and get them back better than new along with anything else that isn't cherry.

so why shouldent we buy used bikes? :banana: this video did nothing to back up your claim. i have never owned a new bike... am i an idiot? :smirk: actually no, im very smart, why would i buy a brand new bike which will be worth a third less the minute i take it off the showroom floor, when i can go buy a 1 or 2 year old bike that is mint for a fraction of the retail price, possibly has a few aftermarket goodies, and that i am notgoing to have to ride slow for the break in when all i want to do is crank it wide open. :busted: i dont want to sound like a dick for saying this but you have no logic put into your statement that people who buy new bikes are idiots. you sir, are the idiot for shelling out $7000+ for a brand new bike when you can get the same model maybe a year or two older for a fraction of that. just something to ponder on while you are riding your $8000 dollar bike you will be paying off for years :bonk: