Sign in to follow this  

1997 KX250 Problem!

I just traded my old not working 88 XR for this 97 KX250 2-Stroke, and i need to know where to start on getting it running. It has a park but i put some pre-mixed gas and filled it up, turned on the gas shook it around a little bit and gave it time to fill up the Carb. Then i kicked on the damn thing forever. I tried putting a little of the gas down the spark plug hole just to see if it would fire, but it didn't. so where should i start on getting it running. it sounds right when i kick it i guess i haven't ever owned a 2-stroke.

did you use the choke? pull out the spark plug see what it looks like. put a new one in, see if it runs.... did you talk to the previous owner when you bought the bike?? when is the last time it ran? if it has been sitting a long time, the carb is probably all gummed up and needs to be cleaned. could be a top end... does it feel like there is good compression when you kick it? try compression testing see what you get for pressure, piston/rings are most likely worn out if the bike wasn't cared for

Okay nevermind everything me and my dad took it apart, and it needs to be rebored and new piston and bearings. Is there any cheap places on the net i can get a cylinder, and piston? cause i am probably gonna need it big time. and is the bearing from the crank to the piston rod supposed to be tight or really loose.

thanks for any help you all give me.

Edited by JohnstonOctober

The rod bearing should have some side clearance but no up and down. A good servive manual will show you how to meaure it and give you the specs.