Sign in to follow this  

Think twice about putting Fox Comp5 boots under the Christmas tree

I've been riding and racing dirt bike for over 20 yrs. Now I'm in my 35 have a lot more responsibility and maybe ride once a month. Well I purchased a whole new Fox outfit 2 yrs back. The gear held up as expected but my right boot has worn poorly. The kick starter has actually tore apart the bottom of the boot to the point where my last ride caused a baseball size bruise to the bottom of my foot. My friends ride twice as much as I do and the Gaerne and Alpinestar boots they run are in perfect shape beyond typical wear and tear. I contacted Fox and if it's beyond a year (warranty) they don't want to hear about it. My advice is if your riding a bike with any compression more then a mini stay away from these boots.. I can't figure how to upload pics. or I would show you gujys what I'm talking about.

My daughter crashed two weeks ago and somehow managed to break her big toe while wearing the Fox womens' Comp 5.

They feel great in the store because they flex so easily. They are a poor choice for any serious riding because they flex so easily.

they also are cheap you get what you pay for, comparing these boots to alpinestar and gaerne is like comparing a porch to a vw, come on. I have a pair and know they will last probally one season and a half.. My soles seperated after a year, for 150bucks I threw them away and got another brand new set and i stll come out cheaper them buying those other boots you mentioned.

• Like 1

wont take you long wasting 150 $ a year to be at astar prices

I have 6 years on my tech 7's and they show no sign of wearing out

• Like 1

Have been wearing mine for 2 years now, and they have held up great. For the price they are hard to beat. Perhaps I am just lucky.

Of course your friends who are wearing $400 boots have boots of higher quality than your $150 comp 5's. Did you expect them to compare? That just seems silly.

On a side note, the mx240v boots from RMATV seem to be quite good for the price, and perhaps constructed a bit better than the comp 5.

Fox boots suck in my experience. I had the same crap happen with mine about a year later. And they weren't cheap.

My buddy got a pair the same day I did, and his lasted even less. He was able to get Fox to warranty them though.

Screw Fox right in the corn-hole. I don't buy any of their garbage since those boots 4yrs ago.

^^ +1 I love my Comp 5's. They've held up great to normal riding, kickstarting etc. AND to hard shots to rocks and the ground. I'd rather buy new $110 boots every two years than buy Tech 10's and have to wear them for 6 years.

My comps were great new. After about, I dunno, 12hrs ride time the right one started hurting the tops of my toes. Not sure what happened. Left one still feels good and they both look good. I trail ride. I prolly won't purchase again jus for the fact the right one is hurting me lol

depends on how many hrs a year you ride, I guess

Damn Tech 7's have been around for 6 years now??? how sure are you on that one i feel like I had tech 6's when i first got my kx450f and then the 7s came out shortly after that.

Either way Im sure the tech 7s last forever I have had luck with the 6s, 8s and now the 10's except now that i have the 10s I wont wear anythng else and they are too much money i hope i get 6 years out of them!

Wore my pair out within a year. Same kind of issue, torn type gash due to kick start (of course it couldn't be my technique, LOL). I liked them at the local motorcycle shop due to the flexibility........which equals softer material......which equals holes...........I went with a pair of Sidi Crossfire SRS.....had 'em a year, very little wear. Cost a lot, but, if you replace a boot once a year due to wear, then after a while the cost becomes prohibitive.

You cant expect a entry level boot like the comp 5 to last like a $400 boot.My buddy has worn out his A3s after 1 year of riding,again a entry level soft sole boot,Myself I dont like the fit of the Garne10s,might try tech 8s when my boots wear out.I have Fox F3s for 2years now and could'nt be happier.

I wasted a pair of tech 6 in a season. I guess it depends on how much, how hard, and where you ride. My boots are usually soaked all the way through each ride, which does not help. also, tech 7's have not been out 6yrs, so i call bs

tech 6 are crap imo

we ride every weekend, lotta hours on my boots, I thought I got the boots in 2004, I could be wrong, I've had them many years

exact same issue here with my comp 5s, 2 years old. the bottom of the right boot is starting to get severely gnarly from starting my bikes, a nice golfball + sized crater. they'd probably last another season but I have decided to jump in and ordering a pair of tech-10s in the spring. I'll probably give them to my GF for her since she wants to try to come riding.. if she ends up liking it and ride enough (ie: more then once a month) I'll get her a pair fo boots that don't suck. hah

btw, they cost $250 canadian for me when I got them I believe. bbbbah. oh well. atleast as can have the soles replaced + don't die like that:P

tech 6 are crap imo

I've had tech 6's for YEARS now. The only issue I've had (if you want to call it that) is I've worn down the little nubs on the top of my left boot. I love mine and would get AlpineStars again and again.:lol:

I always bought my kids cheap boots. They always hated wearing them. A friend's kids outgrew their AlpineStars, gave them to me and my oldest LOVES them. I'll be buying Astars for all of the family.

ive had my $89 Answer boots for about 4 years and ive been riding every week for the last 2 and they have done me good. i plan on getting the comp 5 boots (at discount)for next season. since my 350 is electric start, they should last me alot longer then the OP :lol::)

I've had tech 6's for YEARS now. The only issue I've had (if you want to call it that) is I've worn down the little nubs on the top of my left boot. I love mine and would get AlpineStars again and again.:lol:

I always bought my kids cheap boots. They always hated wearing them. A friend's kids outgrew their AlpineStars, gave them to me and my oldest LOVES them. I'll be buying Astars for all of the family.

I had the numbers mixed up, I use tech 8's without the bootie

not sure if tech6 are plastic, at one time they were tech8's without the bootie and they lasted

the new all plastic boots have weak soles that will tear and wear out fast if you ride standing or use sharp pegs

tech 6 are crap imo

we ride every weekend, lotta hours on my boots, I thought I got the boots in 2004, I could be wrong, I've had them many years

I am a fan of alpinestarts but I think the tech 6's are crap too. Ive had the 6's, 8's, and 10's.

The 6's literally lasted me one season as well, AND i had a pretty bad ankle injury in them. The tech-8s were good boots and lasted well. I now run the white/green tech 10's I used them this entire season, and they are still in like new shape. I clean them after every ride and even the sole is still perfect.

You can send any alpinestars back to them and for $90 they will redo the soles and repair anything thats wrong with them like buckles, etc.