Sign in to follow this  

Electrical Issue with Dual Sport Kit

Hey folks. This is one of my first posts here on TT. Sorry to say, I'm posting about an issue I'm having with a recent dual sport conversion on my 2004 CRF250X. I bought a DS kit off Ebay - one of the ones that is essentially a secondary wire harness with a key switch, horn, and plugs for turn signals, brake switches, license plate light, etc. I thought this one was kind of slick because it plugged inline with the stock headlight and allowed for hi beam and low beams.

Anyway, everything installed easily. It worked like a charm. I'd turn on the key and lights would come on. About a week ago I was installing the last couple items (front turn signals) and I turned on the key to find no response at all. No lights. I checked all the obvious things, battery connections, fuses, ground connection, but all checked out fine.

I started to suspect a bad key switch as I figure power basically runs from the battery to the key switch and then out to the components. I'm not particularly savvy with a voltmeter but I think the switch actually checked out alright. Now I'm stumped.

Doing some searches here on TT and other forums, it did seem that some people ran into situations where the layout of the harness would sometimes fry components, but this set up just doesn't seem that complex and it looks an awful lot like all the other kits I've seen from reputable manufacturers. Anyway, I thought I'd post up here in the DS forum in hopes that someone might have a little more experience with one of these types of kits and might have some thoughts on what to check out next. Thanks for helping a guy out.

Signal lights should be keyed power to one side of flasher, out other side of flasher to center position on the switch, from each side of the switch to corresponding flasher, and other wires on the flasher to ground. If the stator is floated or you are running an AC system ground them to the frame. If you are running a seperate DC system ground the wires to the negative on the battery. If you need any help drop me a line.