Sign in to follow this  

quick engine rebuild question

I was trying to lower the cylinder over the piston and rings and while doing so the piston moved down on its stroke causing the cam chain(because it wasn't taught) to wrap around the the sprocket..now i cant free the chain.. did i just make a monster newbie mistake thats going to necessitate taking the motor apart????:lol::bonk::):bonk::banghead::bonk::cheers::bonk:

Perhaps you should explain, so anyone else who has that problem knows how to rectify it.

Perhaps you should explain, so anyone else who has that problem knows how to rectify it.

absolutely right... after removing the access plug on the stator side of the motor, I just rotated the crank backwards(clockwise i think) and the cam chain was freed :bonk:..Ill be posting a bunch of things and little tricks Ive learned so far while putting this 780 motor back together

+1 Why you think you are screwed when that happens is the starter sprague clutch (bearing) is engaged as soon as you try to rotate the engine backwards. It takes a bit of effort to roll it backwards since you are having to spin the starter motor through all of the gearing reduction... and since you are turning the crank the reduction is backwards so the starter motor has to spin a lot of turns for a small amount of crank movement.

If your 780 kit is like mine they say to install the head gasket totally grease free, not even a finger print? Does this mean that you put nothing around the surface for the cam chain and risk an oil leak?? Did you install the base gasket also dry?? The old one came off with a silicon type sealant round it?

I am really interested in this because mine is ready to go back together and I have never built a bike engine like this before.

I have built a harley and a 1200 kawi race bike and lots of car engines.

I just don't want a leaker.