Sign in to follow this  

Offroad tyre widths

I'm just about to change yet another rear tyre, currently have a 110 width, is there any benefit in moving up to a 120?

Would it last any long or give better grip? Or are there any handling benefits to be had by stayin on a 120?

Cheers

A 120 width would be great as are quite a few other sizes. If you give more info a better recommendation could be made. When you say "off road" do you mean strictly off road or combination of road and off road? Are you looking for more traction? or more wear life? Do you want a full on Knobby? Need to be DOT legal? What kind of ground conditions? What about a trials tire like Pirelli MT43?

Sorry, was in a bit of a rush when I posted.

I need a road legal FIM approved tyre, a motocross tyre but E marked, for road use.

I have used Mitas co2 & michelin AC 10 before, but at the moment they are very expensive.

The last tyre I used was a vee rubber 110, which gave reasonable grip in muddy conditions, but it has only lasted 200 miles, if that.

I am looking at the maxxis enduro tyres which come recomended, but the shop are out of 120's & have only 110, which is the width I use at the moment.

Just wondered if going to a 120, would give similar grip, but last a little longer.

Maxxis in size 110 or 120 is a good choice. 110 is stock I think. Most people would move up to a 120 and that would be my choice in a knobby tire. I don't know your terrain but I would consider a Pirelli MT43. 4:00 - 18. Amazing tire.