Sign in to follow this  

most common can't find parts on YOUR old bike

I have a 82 xl185s. Finding a sprocket cover took me a year. FINALLY got a NOS, never mounted, one for 33 shipped off ebay. Still looking for a right side cover but guess I will just try my hand at fabbing one up. Seems owners of this bike were expert at removing these parts but pretty slack at putting them back on.

What parts are pretty much unobtainium for your project bike?

Kick start shaft for my 74 XL175. No longer made and they all tend to break. I am repairing the one I have, bought a parts bike with a good shaft and it turns out it is ready to break too.

Rare bits for one of my bikes (83-84RFVC XR500) would be the right hand plastic sidecover ,,Took a year or two to track one of them down,,finally got a good one off Ebay for about $70.00 US,,That model always had a problem with the muffler melting that particular cover rendering them a sort of defective unit,,Rare item,,Buy when you see one in good shape,,None exist in NZ,,

I got a 90 DR350 that had the tail end of the right cover melted. So far I repaired it with jb weld. Yes it flexes just fine. Before I put it back on I am going to shape some hanger wire and jb weld it in place so it is more rigid and less likely to bend.

I have seen a cover or two but loathed spending the bucks they were asking but sometimes it comes down to that.

Wiseco 190 kit for the Suzuki DR/LT/ALT 125. Took a years worth of hunting to find one, and the guy had two!

Other PITA parts to get were anything for a 78 Montesa 348 Cota, anything at a reasonable cost for my 84 Husqvarna 500XC or a pipe that was usable for my beater old farm bike. I ended up cutting apart two rusty ones, using the good side of the belly from each and fabbing the header section from sheet stock. Never. EVER. Again.

a kick start for my dr100...well i found one brand new from the parts store its was like 200$ i told them "**** that...ill pop start it" lol

You can use a DR 125 or 200, SP100, 125 or 200, or a DRZ125 kicker.

The Yam DT series motor side covers are getting scarce. They are no longer available from Yamaha and, like someone said, SOMEHOW, owners seem to lose them....????

It's true you can find some on EBAY but that will dry up too.

The list is long but distinguished... almost everything, I use several resources, as we all do, ebay bike bandit, davidsilverspares etc etc etc etc...some of the hardest;

3.25 X 19 trials tire

Suzuki TS250R, J series side cover emblems

You can use a DR 125 or 200, SP100, 125 or 200, or a DRZ125 kicker.

an xr80 kicker fits on too but it didnt clear the frame, oh well, i traded it for a pe 175 that had no kickstart bolt so i had to keep it in my pocket otherwise id loose it lol

It's not unavailable, but when essential parts like a stator or CDI cost as much to replace as the bike is worth, it's frustrating.

What's even more frustrating, is asking a buddy who is a guru with circuitry to build a simple analog CDI and he whips up this absolutely kick-ass TCI (like a modern street bike) circuit which due to an undiagnosed problem with the stator, the bike then throws you off nearly breaking your ankle in the process.

Also, I see the occasional vintage dual sport and by some strange fluke in the matrix, it has most of the wiring left but the moron owner never transfered the title and lost it.

It's not unavailable, but when essential parts like a stator or CDI cost as much to replace as the bike is worth, it's frustrating.

What's even more frustrating, is asking a buddy who is a guru with circuitry to build a simple analog CDI and he whips up this absolutely kick-ass TCI (like a modern street bike) circuit which due to an undiagnosed problem with the stator, the bike then throws you off nearly breaking your ankle in the process.

Also, I see the occasional vintage dual sport and by some strange fluke in the matrix, it has most of the wiring left but the moron owner never transfered the title and lost it.

the cdi on my dr 100 was going and that was a 300-400$ part

For everyone searching for these "unobtanium" parts, Don't forget about parts donor bikes from sites like CL. I've bought several, even when I didn't have an immediate need for parts. Never paid more than $200 and it saved my butt several times.

That's what I did too. Found a bike with a stator and a ton of other parts for $150 about 1.5 hours away. Looked at it, offered the guy a Benjamin and the first free moment I had, I put the stator on my bike. Problem solved.

So far, I've sold at least $40 worth of parts on it, so my investment was about $60 + a few gallons of gasoline. And I've still got a ton of parts left. The latest thing I did was reassemble the motor and pop that in as mine was giving me vibration. Unfortunately I haven't really gotten to testing the motor, but I do know it runs.

Kickstart for my 82 yz490. Took months of searching and a couple trial and errors and I finally got one off a 1980 yz250.

1986 xl600 right side gas tank decal (red stripe) found one in the netherlands, they had one, cost me 120 bucks, never found another, I can get left side all day long. Think I will get a left side and have a friend at a sign shop scan and reverse it and vectorize it so I can have it on her computer if I ever need one

ive been trying to find an aircleaner box for a 78 rm250c2 for about six months. seen one on fleebay go for $180.00 ouch!!!!

ive also got an 83 gs650 katana. one year body style and the tank is wasted. been looking for that for about two years.