Sign in to follow this  

Markers/checkpoint ideas for temperorary hare scramble course

So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I could use as temporary check point/marker thingers for setting up a track during the winter. I'd just want like basic way point check points in the fields. I was thinking about using some milk jugs with some rocks spray painted orange or another bright color. Or maybe using a narrow tall stake to stick in the ground and put the painted milk jug on top. I want to use something cheap and something that can easily be removed. I attached what I want to attempt. I don't really need anything in the woods portion since there will be trees I can mark and the trail will be well defined since it is heavy brush in most areas. Any input is appreciated. If you have any questions just let me know.

The white line is about what I want the track/trail/course to be.

Track.jpg

For scale the longest straight part in the field is about 4000ft. I would like to mark the beginning and end of each turn and maybe the middle part on the larger turns.

Edit: Surveyors tape on the end of a tall stake came to mind but I'd like something a little more noticeable/larger than that if possible.

Edited by 79yamdt

Somebody has to have some input or ideas. Should I move this to a different section? I would like something that doesn't require a truck to place/transport, I've thought about 55 gallon drums. Also this will just be for my friends and I so I just need something basic.

Edited by 79yamdt
add info

I dont know if it will be of much help but back here I had a friend who was a farmer and a roads racer, had countless scrap tyres that he used for the silage and that we used to mark places, hard to see ones were painted with fluorescent spray paint.

Actually that was really helpful. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. They are a little heavy and cumbersome to move but there are a bunch of old tires I could use, ranging from tractor tires to car tires. Thank you.

no problem, best part is theyre reusable and dont blow away in the wind :bonk: If you plan on using the same area each winter throw them together in a ditch somewhere.

One thing I wouldnt use are large truck or tractor tires. Those things dont give if you run into one head on :smirk:

One thing I wouldnt use are large truck or tractor tires. Those things dont give if you run into one head on

This is probably true, 300lb tire vs 200lb bike is probably going to end up in something getting broken, whether it be on the bike or me. I'll just stick to passenger car tires. Maybe I can cut them in half to make it safer. I see a lot of half tires laying on tarps and silage bags.

Strips of lath will work if you pound them in before the ground is frozen.

Spray paint them orange or staple some surveyor tape to the lath.

The beauty of that is, even if you hit them blasting in 5th gear, they'll snap right off and won't cause much if any impact.

Tractor tires and I do not get along very well.

Check out 4:55 in this video

I would think that car tires would work out really good though.

If there is a KTM dealer nearby they may be able to supply you with small (4"x4") arrows. We used them in our race and they are still up.