Sign in to follow this  

What would you do?

So I store all of my atv and mx batteries inside during the winter and put them on a tender about once a month. I also start all of my machines at least once a month to keep the gas fresh. Since it has been so cold in CO recently I decided to winterize my X. I put the stock Yuasa on my 05 X to start her up and all I get is a whir whir whir whir. My battery is 7 years old and it gave up pretty quickly so it obviously time for a new one. The question is ???????? Should I wait until I am ready to ride and buy a battery then or get one now and winterize the X. I could just drain the tank and float bowl but I typically run some gas with Stabil through it first. The bike is cold so I want to avoid the kick starter. Thoughts?

Leave battery out, drain fuel from the carb and tank. Dont worry about stabil. If you want to do something else remove spark plug and add small amount of oil to the cyl.

Leave battery out, drain fuel from the carb and tank. Dont worry about stabil. If you want to do something else remove spark plug and add small amount of oil to the cyl.

About how much oil does one add to the cylinder? Would it be useful to turn the engine with the kick starter a bit after adding the oil?

I got it stared but this raised another question. Is it bad to start the motorcycle while the tender is connected?

don't start it with the tender connected, jump start it off a car or something.

If you do jump of a car battery, don't crank and crank and crank, give the starter motor a break.

you may be able to save the batt, in the future the tender should stay on the batt always, not once a month.

don't start it with the tender connected, jump start it off a car or something.

If you do jump of a car battery, don't crank and crank and crank, give the starter motor a break.

you may be able to save the batt, in the future the tender should stay on the batt always, not once a month.

The issue is that I would have to buy 4 additional tenders. Does anyone know of a charger/tender that can charge 5 batteries. Is it possible to use one tender for multiple batteries?

If I leave the tender on all the time will cold temperatures be a big problem? It would be nice if I could just leave the the batteries on the machines in the garage.

About how much oil does one add to the cylinder? Would it be useful to turn the engine with the kick starter a bit after adding the oil?

I got it stared but this raised another question. Is it bad to start the motorcycle while the tender is connected?

I like just a small amount like a tea-spoon. Boat dealers have a fog oil deal you spray into the intake with the engine running. I preped water craft that way when I worked at a power house shop.

I wouldn't worry about it much unless it's going to set for months.

The big deal is to drain all the fuel out of the carb and tank. I mean use the bowl drain, not start it up and run it till it stops.

I have one tender and move it between bikes too. I'm going riding Sun. too though.

I like just a small amount like a tea-spoon. Boat dealers have a fog oil deal you spray into the intake with the engine running. I preped water craft that way when I worked at a power house shop.

I wouldn't worry about it much unless it's going to set for months.

The big deal is to drain all the fuel out of the carb and tank. I mean use the bowl drain, not start it up and run it till it stops.

I have one tender and move it between bikes too. I'm going riding Sun. too though.

Exactly. Running dry does not empty the carb, and you still get varnishing.

Exactly. Running dry does not empty the carb, and you still get varnishing.

Yeah, I always remove the float bowl. Does anyone have a good process for this. I always get gas everywhere when I change a jet or empty the tank.

Check battey tenders website they make one:

http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/4-bank-international-charger-usa-western-hemisphere.html

Its $250 but has the potential to save a lot of batteries

The issue is that I would have to buy 4 additional tenders. Does anyone know of a charger/tender that can charge 5 batteries. Is it possible to use one tender for multiple batteries?

If I leave the tender on all the time will cold temperatures be a big problem? It would be nice if I could just leave the the batteries on the machines in the garage.

I lay the bike flat on it's side outside in the driveway, and let it drain out. Probably not 100% dry, but it's easy....

:bonk:

Check battey tenders website they make one:

http://batterytender.com/motorcycle/4-bank-international-charger-usa-western-hemisphere.html

Its $250 but has the potential to save a lot of batteries

That is pretty sweet. I think I am going to pick up a 4 TUSK tenders from rockymountain atv. They are auto shut off and are only $13! I'm aware they won't charge a dead battery but that's no biggie as I already have a tender/charger. I am just going to leave these hooked up all of the time.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=171&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&keyword=tusk+tender&prodFamilyId=24745

That is a good bit cheaper that is what I would do.

That is pretty sweet. I think I am going to pick up a 4 TUSK tenders from rockymountain atv. They are auto shut off and are only $13! I'm aware they won't charge a dead battery but that's no biggie as I already have a tender/charger. I am just going to leave these hooked up all of the time.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=171&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&keyword=tusk+tender&prodFamilyId=24745