Sign in to follow this  

Classic 250vrs300 but with a twist

I'm sure this question has been posted many times, but I want to add an angle to it: which bike is best, the 250 or the 300 with a Rekluse EXP on it? They say the 250 is lighter-feeling and snappier and I know for a fact the 300 has incredible low-end grunt, but never had a chance to compare them and NEVER rode any of them with a Rekluse. I'm 6'3" 210lb, quite fast, reasonably fit and ride mostly tight, technical, rooty, rocky, narrow, steep and very slippery trails (it rains a LOT here in Costa Rica). I'm looking at getting a 2012 GasGas and need advice, so thanks a lot for your help. Pura Vida to all.

Edited by helienduro
Misspelling in title

this is a ktm forumn:smirk: results will be differnt with a gas gas :lol:

what about the 200 ha ha

Im a 300 guy so that get my vote but really means nothing

I own both a 06 300 and an 07 250 XC-W. Both with Rekluses. I am about your size, and am familiar with costa Rican trails. You are not going to go wrong with either, but if it were me and i was choosing - i would choose my 300 - with a trials tire.

I'm intrigued by the 250's because of what people say about them: lighter feeling, more flickable, won't overheat as the 300's do sometimes. I installed a fan on my '09 XC-W 300 and solved that, but for my next bike I want the lightest and least vulnerable machine: no lights, no E-starter, FI, fan, etc.

I know this is a KTM forum, but posted here because there are many more KTM's than GG's and the core of my question is which bike (250 or 300) works best with a Rekluse EXP. I never used one but the idea of a light bike that will not stall (therefore no need for E-start) that maybe will end up with LHRB only is very attractive. I imagine it as a fast-flowing, very agile, forgiving and fun to be on-the-pipe rocket.

I own both a 06 300 and an 07 250 XC-W. Both with Rekluses. I am about your size, and am familiar with costa Rican trails. You are not going to go wrong with either, but if it were me and i was choosing - i would choose my 300 - with a trials tire.

Yep....300 with trials tire :lol:

Joe

I ride a Sherco 290 trials bike and understand the traction advantage of those tires in most terrains, specially rocky and wet, but definitely not on mud (even on the very-light Sherco) which is part of what we get here. The other thing I am guessing I might not like is for the faster parts of the trails as I'm guessing the very flexible nature of trials tires might feel awkward and dangerous. Still, this dry season I will try one out and see.

Karl, so you come to CR to ride sometimes?

I ride a Sherco 290 trials bike and understand the traction advantage of those tires in most terrains, specially rocky and wet, but definitely not on mud (even on the very-light Sherco) which is part of what we get here. The other thing I am guessing I might not like is for the faster parts of the trails as I'm guessing the very flexible nature of trials tires might feel awkward and dangerous. Still, this dry season I will try one out and see.

Karl, so you come to CR to ride sometimes?

The trials tire will not feel the way you describe at speed, it still hooks up very well and is firm. Power sliding the TT is the only place I noticed mine feeling squirmy.

I ride a 2005 yz250 with 285 kit, trials tire and rekluse...the list of mods is long and distinguished but in my opinion the end reslut with my YZ is nothing short of the best woods machine imagineable! It pulls off the bottom and just keeps on pulling...it's a grunter and a screamer...the best of all worlds...

I am a huge proponent of not only the auto clutch but the Left hand rear brake as well...for woods mountain riding and steep gnarly stuff it is amazing...in enduros the combo of power, useability and control make me faster!

I could go on and on about the mighty YZ...that being said...it's hard not to take a close look at the GasHas EC300 or the 300 'berg!