Sign in to follow this  

I need 98 KX250 Parts!

I need some parts for a KX250 1998 model. I got it and took it apart and it was wore slap ass out. So I need to know a good USA nationwide place i can get it rebored and a rebuild kit or i need a cheap place on the net i can get a cylinder and a piston. And one question, Is the kx250 crank to rod bearing supposed to be super loose or a little stiff.

What is the standard bore size for the 1998 KX250?

Edited by JohnstonOctober
Wrong year!

First off, get a Kawi service manual. Second, if the cylinder is OEM it is plated and should not be bored out but replated. US Chrome or Millenium Technology replate cylinders.

Parts are right here at TT Store or Ronayers.com or Denniskirk.com, non of which I’m associated with.

how can i tell if its OEM cause im not sure about any part on this bike, i just got it. Do i need to know the standard size to tell them or what. and if i have it plated would i be able to just buy a rebuild kit and assemble it

Oh yea the guy sold it to me saying it was a 97 but its a 98 i looked up the engine number and vin

The rod should not be super loose. It should have some side-to-side play, but no up-and-down play in it. Try pulling up and pushing down on the rod. If it has any play or makes a "clunk", it is shot. If it only wiggles side-to-side a little, it is probably still useable.

If you don't want to buy a brand new cylinder or replate yours, check Ebay for a good used one. I'm pretty sure that any cylinder from 94-01 will fit on your motor.

The stock bore size is 66.40 mm. You can buy a complete Wiseco Top-End kit (Piston/rings/bearing/gaskets/etc.) for about $140 on Ebay as well.

The OEM reference is to the fact that the cylinder has not been modified for a big bore kit or sleeved. There will be a good chance that a used cylinder purchased on eBay, or anywhere else, will need to be plated. If the cylinder you have now is not cracked or broken, have it replated or buy a new one. A replate should be about $250.

It is true that another YM cylinder will fit your bike, but the power valves may NOT. Just about each year has its own power valves. (there are others here, no1clyde, Jenkins who know much more about this than I do.)

Wiesco also makes a complete bottom end kit. Gaskets, bearings, crank, seals. Can get on eBay for about $200.

Bikes just cost $$$$. Good luck.

I need some parts for a KX250 1998 model. I got it and took it apart and it was wore slap ass out. So I need to know a good USA nationwide place i can get it rebored and a rebuild kit or i need a cheap place on the net i can get a cylinder and a piston. And one question, Is the kx250 crank to rod bearing supposed to be super loose or a little stiff.

What is the standard bore size for the 1998 KX250?

If the cylinder plating is worn, have it re-plated. Chances are any used cylinder you buy will also need replating, so you'll end up spending even more going that route.

You need a manual. The manual will list the allowable radial (side to side) play for the rod. There should be zero up and down play. And it should spin freely and smoothly, with no stiff feel at all.

The stock bore size is 66.40 mm.

If the cylinder plating is worn, have it re-plated. Chances are any used cylinder you buy will also need replating, so you'll end up spending even more going that route.

+1 This is exactly what i said on one of his other threads. You dont need to open a new thread every time you have a question, especially when they are almost all the same subject.

Hi ya again Johnson. You’ll find a lot of people on this site are like sounding brass and tinkling cymbals. They make a lot of noise, but very little music. They post hot air but not much fact. Then there a few who know their stuff. Go ahead and ask anything anywhere. Glad to help!!

How is the project going to date?

Hi ya again Johnson. You’ll find a lot of people on this site are like sounding brass and tinkling cymbals. They make a lot of noise, but very little music. They post hot air but not much fact. Then there a few who know their stuff. Go ahead and ask anything anywhere. Glad to help!!

How is the project going to date?

Hey youngztr I'm not trying to be rude, just don't need a bunch of redundant threads. I've been posting and helping this kid out with what I know on his other threads... sorry to come of the wrong way.

Johnston:

Thumpertalk forums have a TON of information, most of the answers to your questions can be found by searching. The search is not the greatest on the forum, but if you go to google and type in site:thumpertalk.com before your search you will find alot more info. you can also use the "quotes" to search an exact phrase. I bet you will find 90% of your answers this way.

example: i want to find out about the top end on my bike and search only on thumpertalk.

go to google and type:

site:thumpertalk.com "2002 kx250" "top end"

until the new thumpertalk forum comes out.. then search will be much better..

Hope this is more helpful than I was before.