Hosting a Hare Scrambles/Enduro

I am possibly interested in hosting a Hare Scrambles, and or Enduro on my property. What I would like to know from you guys is, what would be the (minimum) amount of acreage needed to have a good course? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Mike:ride:

I'm not sure that you need a set amount of acreage but good terrain. I would guess at least 40 acres to set up a 2.5-3 mile course. I've been devising my own course myself haha. Some woods with some open fields to open the bikes up. How long of a course are you looking at making?

Track.jpg

The white is what I plan on doing it's about 2.5 miles and covers about 40 acres total, about half its wooded. The wooded part is about 1 mile, I will be attempting to make this longer but this is what I'm starting with. The wooded part is kinda in a valley so it offers some nice terrain and elevation changes. Get Google earth so you can plot it and measure it. It's very helpful. The red outline is 115 acres. If the entire area was wooded I would have not problem making a 7-10 mile course.

I'd say your best bet would be to contact a local club. There will be guys in your area familiar with the terrain and the type of races people expect and enjoy in that area and can probably get you started in the right direction quicker than TT can.

I'd say your best bet would be to contact a local club. There will be guys in your area familiar with the terrain and the type of races people expect and enjoy in that area and can probably get you started in the right direction quicker than TT can.

I have, and that's where my thread started from. I was told by one group 150 acres min. another 40-50 min. ? So, I wanted to see what you guys(Thumpertalk Riders) think?

I am possibly interested in hosting a Hare Scrambles, and or Enduro on my property. What I would like to know from you guys is, what would be the (minimum) amount of acreage needed to have a good course? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Mike:ride:

Forget the enduro - they require 60-80 miles of non-repeating course. A HS is definitely doable though - typical HS course is ~7mi long. You'd have to use all of your property, and be quite efficient about it to make a decent course though. 50 acres isn't nearly enough, but I'll bet you can get that non-course stuff packed into a much smaller area (like 20 acres). Don't worry about areas being non-wooded. Many courses have grass sections, and open courses are easy to make (just string ribbon), and WAY easier to watch. You could also make an open motocross-type section that is a couple of miles long - that would be awesome.

JayC

Ive raced some harescrambles that are 10 mile loops and others that are 3 mile loops. I would say MINIMUM of 3 miles, I think 10 miles is kinda overkill, and then you have the slower classes only finishing 1-2 laps total.

My personal preference is a 4-5 mile lap, and varied terrain. 5 miles is plenty of distance to get a healthy dose of all the stuff. Woods, both double and single, hills, jumps, open fields, even maybe some obstacles like tire and rock gardens.

Think convoluted! We have a section that is 1-2 gear riding that takes about 1/2 hour to ride and can't be more than 15 acres. It is actually fun to see other riders but going in a different direction than you. Plus, it make for great spectator access and viewing.

Think convoluted! We have a section that is 1-2 gear riding that takes about 1/2 hour to ride and can't be more than 15 acres. It is actually fun to see other riders but going in a different direction than you. Plus, it make for great spectator access and viewing.

well then theres the problem of cheating...

?

And technical. I have a practise loop that is no bigger than 10 acres that takes a half hour a loop, and I'm an A racer.

Endurocross obstacles, hill climbs, etc.

well then theres the problem of cheating...

Always a possibility, but not if you lay it out right. Our course was quite wooded, so you it wasn't easy (like a grass field,etc.) Also, a few course marshals or first aid at key spots makes a difference.