Sign in to follow this  

Spring Rate Confusion.

Hi, all.

I have been doing lots of searching and reading all the spring threads. The numbers I am getting from the Race Tech calculator don't seem to match up with what other people my weight are going with. I am on a 2009 S.

Based on my weight (215 lbs without gear), and all the other input options (I have the Clarke tank), the calculator tells me I need 0.547 kg/mm up front and 5.7 on the rear.

From what I have read, people my weight are using 0.48 springs on the front. Why would my numbers be so far off from the others?

Also, by the sounds of it, the stock rear shock (5.5) should be almost ok for my weight, but I can't get the sag correctly set. I would need it crank the pre-load all the way in order to get even close. I will go with the 5.7, but wish I could make the stock work since I seem to be close to the intended rider weight for it.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any help on this.

for your weight

5.7 rear ~ 0.48 front

That's what I figure as well. I just can't figure why the calculator is telling me the other value for the front.

Thanks for the info.:lol:

Numbers for the rear seem to vary. 5.4 is what I have seen. No, your are not going to get there at your weight with a stock rear spring. 5.7 and .48 sounds right to me. Next step up if you are a jumper or very hard rider.

I was in the same boat as you, went with .52's still too stiff.

Swaped out one .52 and replaced with a OEM .44. Feels better, lost the spike when compressing but I won't know for sure till I go for a ride and do a little bit of adjustment.

5.7 is spot on for the rear. :lol:

I am not an aggressive rider or jumper, so I will certainly go with the 5.7 on the rear. I will go with the 0.48 on the front as well.

Since the 0.48 is so popular, I won't have any issues selling them if I need to make an adjustment.

When I do go for the 5.7, will I end up with a higher or lower seat height (or will their be any change at all one I have the sag set correctly)? It may be a silly question, but I am just trying to figure out the physics of it all.

For what its worth, I weigh the same as you and went with the .48 front and 5.7 rear per the collective wisdom. I'm 52, and am an avid trail rider, not a jumper or aggressive in the woops. I found this set up to be too harsh for me, and thats with the compression backed all the way out. I prefer the plushness of the stock .44 and 5.4 set up and will be going back to it when a little warmth returns to my shop. The stock springs seem to absorb the bumps better and do not deflect so much off roots and rocks. I guess it depends on what type of rider you are. You will have to sacrifice some ride to get it to handle like a KTM off roader.....

For what its worth, I weigh the same as you and went with the .48 front and 5.7 rear per the collective wisdom. I'm 52, and am an avid trail rider, not a jumper or aggressive in the woops. I found this set up to be too harsh for me, and thats with the compression backed all the way out. I prefer the plushness of the stock .44 and 5.4 set up and will be going back to it when a little warmth returns to my shop. The stock springs seem to absorb the bumps better and do not deflect so much off roots and rocks. I guess it depends on what type of rider you are. You will have to sacrifice some ride to get it to handle like a KTM off roader.....

Good info to know. I still need to play around with all the settings (still all set to stock). I will do that this spring and then see if I need anything different. To be honest, I haven't bottom out yet, so maybe for my riding ability the stock setup is fine.

I find that the back end "pogos" up on me when it hits something. It is like the bike is trying to buck me off! I would assume that making some adjustments may relieve this. I admittedly know little about setting suspension, but I can always get it back to stock if I mess it up.

Add some rebound, the adjustment on the bottom of your shock.

A couple of clicks at a time.:bonk:

I wish it wasn't so cold out. I want to go try it out right now! Thanks for the info.

To get the best results from heavier springs you should have the fork valves modified at the same time. I had Eddie put .46 in mine and work the valves over. The change was amazing.

If I plan on setting up my bike for adventure touring (slab, dirt roads, some trails), should I go with more than the 5.7 on the back to compensate for the luggage weight?

I try to pack as light as possible, but it still adds up.

From my earlier reply, I am 220 lbs and a bit long in the tooth (52). I felt the .48/5.7 combo was too harsh for my style of riding (fast fire roads, single track, no jumping). It warmed up enough for me to replace my .48/5.7 combo back to the stock springs. Put some good quality synthetic 5w fork oil with a depth of 122mm (stock). Set all the clickers back to stock settings. Also set the preload on the stock shock spring at max (9.8 inches overall spring length per the manual, best done with the shock off the bike). My rear sag numbers came it at 1 7/16" static and 3 7/8" race. Went for a ride that included dirt road and a romp in the local cycle park. I like the plushness of the stock settings. For me, its just a what I prefer. I think it all depends on your style of riding. Stiffer springs will certainly do better with faster riders, at the cost of ride comfort and ability to soak up washboard and trail hack. I can make you a deal on some slightly used Racetech .48/5.7 springs. :bonk:

From my earlier reply, I am 220 lbs and a bit long in the tooth (52). I felt the .48/5.7 combo was too harsh for my style of riding (fast fire roads, single track, no jumping). It warmed up enough for me to replace my .48/5.7 combo back to the stock springs. Put some good quality synthetic 5w fork oil with a depth of 122mm (stock). Set all the clickers back to stock settings. Also set the preload on the stock shock spring at max (9.8 inches overall spring length per the manual, best done with the shock off the bike). My rear sag numbers came it at 1 7/16" static and 3 7/8" race. Went for a ride that included dirt road and a romp in the local cycle park. I like the plushness of the stock settings. For me, its just a what I prefer. I think it all depends on your style of riding. Stiffer springs will certainly do better with faster riders, at the cost of ride comfort and ability to soak up washboard and trail hack. I can make you a deal on some slightly used Racetech .48/5.7 springs. :bonk:

PM sent your way!

Mr. C did you buy these springs? If not, to Boznblack - are they still available?

Chis

Yep, I bought them. They should be at my house tomorrow!

Bummer for me - sounds is if they are what I need. Let me know how they work out for you.

Chris

Will do. The problem is that we have this horrible thing called winter! Hopefully I can get out there soon.

The springs are not too expensive new, and by all accounts, setting up the suspension correctly is one of the best mods you can do.