Sign in to follow this  

2003 CR250R Turned Budget Pro Class Weapon

**somewhat long read, but hopefully you enjoy it**

Hey guys, how's it goin'? I've been reading this section top to bottom the last couple weeks and even posted a thread asking a few questions and got some great replies, so thank you very much for all the responses and great content in here. I'll give you guys a quick rundown on myself and my situation so you can get a feel for why this project is so important to me.

I'm 21 years old, and moved from Bozeman, MT to Phoenix, AZ in August for school. I am a local pro motocross racer and moved up to the pro class in 2008. I've never taken racing too seriously, never trained, and was always caught up being a kid partying and basically just riding for fun but always had enough talent to be able to somewhat compete with minimal effort. When I moved here, I was very out of shape, had ridden just a handful of times in the past year, and was looking forwards to practicing the tracks and basically looking at motocross like I always have, just a lot of fun.

I moved down here with my 09 YZ450F that i've had since 09, and it was your typical clapped out local pro's bike. I began riding 4-5 times a week with some very good former and current AMA pro's and they started talking to me about beginning to train and take things seriously. I agreed and began a very strict diet, work out routine (running 8+ miles and 2 hours in the gym 6 days a week plus riding) and was really seeing improvements in my riding and racing and was doing well in the races I was hitting.

About 4 weeks ago, I was practicing out at one of the local tracks, and my rod broke on my 450, locking up my bike on the face of a 100+ foot jump. I was leaning over for a scrub thankfully, so rather than my front end dropping and going over the bars, it sent me fly off the track sideways and the crash was much less than it could have been, and I came away relatively unhurt. Here's a little sequence shot my friend took on her phone of me staying low on a jump about a lap before the bike locked up:

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_9075.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

My bike was a total loss, from my cases, to my head, the motor was completely toast. Here's some pics of the carnage:

IMG_9674.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

So that left me in a dillemma. I am very fortunate enough to have my mom supporting my schooling and living expenses while here, but she does not support my racing. She supported my racing after my dad passed away until I was 18, and then it was all on me. I respect that and appreciate the hell out of all she's done and is currently doing for me, but it has made it difficult to continue racing and has required me to bust ass to make it happen. With being a full time student and training and riding, I haven't been able to find a job to work around my schedule and have been doing odd jobs for people to make money to pay for my motocross habit.

I was left with a rolling 450 chassis, and a lot of thinking as to what my next step was. A brand new 450 was out of the question for many reasons, and I began thinking about a 250 2-stroke. I have had some 250's in the last few years, and always enjoyed them and rode them well, so it only made sense due to the low initial cost and cheap replacement parts.

I did a lot of looking around, sold my 450 chassis for $1,300, and 6 days ago ended up buying a 2003 CR250 with a cracked piston skirt for $1,100. I knew that regaurdless of shape or condition of any bike I bought, I would need to rebuild the entire engine to be able to hold up to the abuse I would be putting through it. Knowing that, it wasn't a big deal that it was blown up and it allowed me to get the bike at little better price than if I had bought a running bike.

Thankfully I have a shop Pro Ride Technologies here in Phoenix that is behind me 100% and is going to build me a monster mod 250 motor that should blow away 250F's and shouldn't be too far off the 450's. We got to work quickly, and I brought the bike over right after school Monday and we stripped it down to the frame and pulled the engine apart. Everything was in great shape besides the piston, and we had a great base to build up this motor. We put together a parts list, I boxed up my suspension and shipped it off to PFR in Montana www.performancefixracing.com

Then came the hard part, coming up with the rest of the money to pay for the engine parts. Thankfully I get parts at dealer cost, but even so, the list came to over $900 for things like pipe, silencer, bottom end, top end, v-force reeds, tranny bearings, gaskets, seals etc. I spent the next 12 hours thinking of my next moves, and made a call to my mom and told her what was going on. She's always played the tough role as I was growing up and made me work for what I have, but she knows what MX means to me and agreed to pay for the parts and spent a solid hour to me explaining all the things I will be doing for her while I'm home for Christmas. :)

The previous owner had just torn the bike to the frame and replaced all the bearings, so that was all fresh. I had some small extra's in my garage like Renthal twinwall's, a better chain than what was on there, tires etc and have been putting those on this week while we wait for parts. In addition, I found out the 2010 CRF250 triple clamps fit on the CR's, and my friend has a set he took off one of his bikes and gave them to me. That allowed me to have the new style plastics up front. Here's a pic of how it sat after I out on the 2010 stuff:

IMG_8325.jpg

While I've been monkeying around with chassis stuff, the fellas at PRT have been busy with ISF proccessing my transmission, porting, polishing, grinding, milling and doing whatever else they do to make this motor a firebreather. We should get my motor parts wednesday, suspension thursday and if all goes according to plan, should be taking it out for its maiden voyage Thursday night.

My goals for the next year are using this bike to obtain my AMA pro card, and hopefully gaining support to have a 450 to race an AMA national in 2012. I've never been so motivated and confident with anything in my entire life, and I'm truely busting ass to meet my goals. If I do reach my goals, I think it would be an outstanding achievement considering where I've come from and all I've overcome along the way from my dad dying to just doing anything I can to go ride.

I will be posting photo's and video's of the project and updates of my results in the coming months if anyone is interested. This first phase is strictly to make the bike perform well, and I have spent $0 trying to make it look the part. That will come in the next couple months, and I will be posting updated photo's along the way in this thread to keep you up to date. Next week I will post pics of the bike completed, and some pic's and vid's of me riding.

Thanks very much for reading this. I've had a few people suggest posting my story on the internet because they have found it very interesting and thought you might too. Feel free to post up and comments, questions, advice, encouragement or whatever else you feel is appropriate, I would love to hear it. Thank you!

-Kyle

P.S. Here's a video she shot from her iPhone the night before. She doesn't walk too far from the vehicle so she only takes photo's/video's of this jump :lol: I have made friend with some good videographers and photographers that want to do stuff with me, so I should have some great content coming soon! Thanks again! Video:

really inspiring stuff, I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavours! I'm about to break into the Intermediate class within the next couple years. becoming a local pro is pretty much my main goal right now!

Looking forward to following both you and your bike's progress!

Cool story! You'll be more than competitive on that 250 in the pro class in AZ. Years back when I did AMX and some other series I remember there were a few guys running a 250t in the pro classes and they did well.

What's your last name? Hopefully I can get my KX250 back running and start doing some more racing this season. Good luck man!

Thanks for the kind words guys, means more than you would think!

Ronaldo156, good luck with your racing. They key is to always keep it fun. As soon as you take it too serious, you get burnt out and end up riding less because it doesn't satisfy you as much. Seat time=speed, so make sure you keep it fun and look forwards to going to the track every time you go.

2strokenut: My last name is Jennett. I run #978, so if you see me out at one of the AZ tracks, come by and introduce yourself. Thanks for the well wishes.

holy crap that was a lot of carnage

where did the rod break at, the little end bearing?

holy crap that was a lot of carnage

where did the rod break at, the little end bearing?

There was literally no rod when it was all said and done, so I guess that would me it failed at the bottom. The rod had about 60 hours on it, so I guess that was enough.

60 hours is not very long, I wonder if the little end started to fail and seized up

Thanks for the kind words guys, means more than you would think!

Ronaldo156, good luck with your racing. They key is to always keep it fun. As soon as you take it too serious, you get burnt out and end up riding less because it doesn't satisfy you as much. Seat time=speed, so make sure you keep it fun and look forwards to going to the track every time you go.

2strokenut: My last name is Jennett. I run #978, so if you see me out at one of the AZ tracks, come by and introduce yourself. Thanks for the well wishes.

I'll be looking out for ya man, won't be hard to miss a fast dude rippin on a 250 2-stroke haha. Just curious, who have you been training with out there?

Looking at that 450 motor... wow that thing effin blew up!

I'll be looking out for ya man, won't be hard to miss a fast dude rippin on a 250 2-stroke haha. Just curious, who have you been training with out there?

Looking at that 450 motor... wow that thing effin blew up!

I've been getting some help from Ryan Clark and Justin Buckelew, and who I work with every day is Bill Macmaster. If you've raced around here you might know him, he's definitely one of the fastest guys out of AZ to never make it to the big leagues, and that unfortunately was due to money. He's still only 22, but he just signed on with the Army and is going that route. He has really done an awesome job working with me to get into shape and I already feel so much fitter and stronger. We've really been putting in the work since my bike broke so when my bike is ready, I'm as prepared as I have ever been physically. And this is only just the start! We've got good long term goals as far as my fitness, so as long as my speed improves with my fitness, I should be on the fast track to reaching my goals! :lol:

I've been getting some help from Ryan Clark and Justin Buckelew, and who I work with every day is Bill Macmaster. If you've raced around here you might know him, he's definitely one of the fastest guys out of AZ to never make it to the big leagues, and that unfortunately was due to money. He's still only 22, but he just signed on with the Army and is going that route. He has really done an awesome job working with me to get into shape and I already feel so much fitter and stronger. We've really been putting in the work since my bike broke so when my bike is ready, I'm as prepared as I have ever been physically. And this is only just the start! We've got good long term goals as far as my fitness, so as long as my speed improves with my fitness, I should be on the fast track to reaching my goals! :lol:

He's going into the Army??? Damn I wish he had the same kind of support a lot of the other fast riders have. Its really disheartening when you see kids who don't have half the speed Bill has or others like him and they freaking have a full on motorhome at the track and 3 practice bikes.

If you have those guys helping you out then you're in good hands man! Where you practicing at mostly? Speedworld? Canyon? What does Ryan and Justin think of you deciding to race the CR250?

He's going into the Army??? Damn I wish he had the same kind of support a lot of the other fast riders have. Its really disheartening when you see kids who don't have half the speed Bill has or others like him and they freaking have a full on motorhome at the track and 3 practice bikes.

If you have those guys helping you out then you're in good hands man! Where you practicing at mostly? Speedworld? Canyon? What does Ryan and Justin think of you deciding to race the CR250?

It really is frustrating to not have the support of most kids, but we understand it's just what we're dealt with and it doesn't keep us from working hard and trying to overcome it. Bill is a really good guy and will do well in the Army.

I try to ride all the tracks around here, usually Canyon and Speedworld during the week, and ACP and ET during the weekends I don't race. I'm in North PHX so Canyon is just 20 minutes away, and Speedworld is about 30m where ET is around an hour and ACP is also, but in the other direction.

Hey sorry about the bike man that sucks. But you should be fast on the 250. To cover some of the costs you should sell the 450 as a roller or part it out. Have fun with the build and hope to see you rippin that 250 in some vids.

Cool thread, keep us posted...

I predict you will see alot more of these in the future (2-stroke revivals) as the cost of racing a thumper is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Great story and best of luck to you. The 250 should hold its own, if you are used to the power delivery... my co-worker's boy runs a cr250 against 450's locally and regionally with great results.

I'm from AZ and would love to get moved back there someday... Just an amateur class flattracker myself, but maybe I'll see you at the local tracks someday. I'm currently fixing up a budget cr250 for fun riding.

Kyle#44x