Plate for a MX bike in BC?

I have three excellent offroad riding areas within a 5 minute drive from my house and was thinking it would be nice to just ride my bike there rather than all that loading and unloading for such a short distance.

I saw a CR450 with a plate on it in a local classified ad and this made me think it may be possible. Wondering if anyone on the forum has or has attempted to plate a MX bike in my province.

I'm pretty sure we used to be able to convert certain MX bikes for street use. I know Vancouver Supermoto used to sell a kit for most bikes to make them street legal. However, I remember reading that the rules have since changed and now bikes that are for offroad use cannot be converted. I think bikes that are already done are grandfathered in. I could be wrong, so hopefully someone who knows more can chime in.

I'm pretty sure we used to be able to convert certain MX bikes for street use. I know Vancouver Supermoto used to sell a kit for most bikes to make them street legal. However, I remember reading that the rules have since changed and now bikes that are for offroad use cannot be converted. I think bikes that are already done are grandfathered in. I could be wrong, so hopefully someone who knows more can chime in.

This is correct to a point. If you have an older "grandfathered in" bike and get pulled at a DOT or are told by a cop to get an inspection you're SOL.

But ICBC will still sell you insurance untill that day.....

This is correct to a point. If you have an older "grandfathered in" bike and get pulled at a DOT or are told by a cop to get an inspection you're SOL.

But ICBC will still sell you insurance untill that day.....

Are you saying this can no longer be done period..... from experience?

Are you saying this can no longer be done period..... from experience?

I personally haven't plated a bike since this rule came down last year. "Supposedly" according to ICBC they can tell by the VIN # when originally plating the bike. I've heard "rumour" that there still might be a way to pull it off.....

I've plated many bikes in the past, including 2 strokes, it used to be easy, peasy, but not now. I know when the they first implemented this we had a horny cop in town that pulled a bunch of plated dirt bikes for inspection and they lost there plates.

Best bet is to buy one already plated and avoid DOT and cops.

Thanks for your insight.

I was hoping it might be easier in my area since there is no Aircare required in the Okanagan or possibly trying to register it as a U-built vehicle. I've done this with trailers that had no registration and it wasn't a problem.

It can not be done in B.C anymore!! Even if you buy a converted bike that was already insured etc. Once it is transfered into your name, you will have problems re insuring it etc. Unless you get a rookie insurance agent etc. You are not able to get any mx or non O.E bike converted to street use anymore. You could spend the money and get the inspection done. But once you try to insure it you r fubard!!

It can not be done in B.C anymore!! Even if you buy a converted bike that was already insured etc. Once it is transfered into your name, you will have problems re insuring it etc. Unless you get a rookie insurance agent etc. You are not able to get any mx or non O.E bike converted to street use anymore. You could spend the money and get the inspection done. But once you try to insure it you r fubard!!

are you serious? i knew that you cant convert a non street bike to street legal anymore, but now theyre not letting prevously converted bikes stay on the road?

if thats the case, that is complete BS, i was planning on buying a SL xr650r in the spring, but may have to stick with my xl600...

are you serious? i knew that you cant convert a non street bike to street legal anymore, but now theyre not letting prevously converted bikes stay on the road?

if thats the case, that is complete BS, i was planning on buying a SL xr650r in the spring, but may have to stick with my xl600...

This simple answer is because the frames are not approved by DOT. Sounds stupid right, I know, because a DRZ 400 comes in a E/S/SM model and two of them are legal for the street. You can go buy that 450r, if it has already been insured, you will be able to insure it again but the instant you are in a accident and a claim is made, you are royally screwed. The bike will have to be submitted to ICBC, they will inspect the motorcycle, find that it doesnt have DOT approved lighting, steering lock, blinkers etc etc. Your insurance becomes void and null, you could possibly lose everything if legal action is taken. If no legal action is take, ICBC will probaly not insure you based on fraud. Any bike you see on the streets that is an off-road bike that has been converted is ILLEGAL, though the process was done legally.

I personally haven't plated a bike since this rule came down last year. "Supposedly" according to ICBC they can tell by the VIN # when originally plating the bike. I've heard "rumour" that there still might be a way to pull it off.....

I've plated many bikes in the past, including 2 strokes, it used to be easy, peasy, but not now. I know when the they first implemented this we had a horny cop in town that pulled a bunch of plated dirt bikes for inspection and they lost there plates.

Best bet is to buy one already plated and avoid DOT and cops.

New bikes as of 2012 are supposed to come with a DOT number stamped in the serial number. Lets say the 5th letter is always a "D", though I dont know what it will actually be.

Ask me how I know about the not being able to re-insure after purchase etc. Have had it happen to myself and brother in law.. Managed to sell the bike as dirt only and recoop my costs buy selling the conversion kit seperatly etc. This is in the lowermainland though! So could be different depending on what insurance company you use I guess??

Ask me how I know about the not being able to re-insure after purchase etc. Have had it happen to myself and brother in law.. Managed to sell the bike as dirt only and recoop my costs buy selling the conversion kit seperatly etc. This is in the lowermainland though! So could be different depending on what insurance company you use I guess??

Bummer. Its can be a hit or miss with the bikes. My old man bought a 650r that was road legal, had no problems insuring it, no DOT, no inspection, nothing.

• 2 months later...

its a lot screwed up... could build and insure a chopper without much wories of being able to insure it even if its loud got no mirors or signals or what ever ? have all done to a dirt bike thereticaly legal and get booted from the roads just a question butis it just me that thinks this is a whitch hunt? it kinda reminds me of the days of seadooing cant launch a seadoo but go ahead launch your twin engine monster boat

• 1 month later...

Because the government is hurding us like a bunch of sheep. In the future there will be no freedom they just keep taking thingsaway slowly year after year until they have complete control over everybody like were in a cage doing nothing but making people rich.

They dont want offroad bikes legal on the street because it woud be to easy to out run the cops. There goes a small portion of our freedom stuck in a cage plain and simple.