Older 250's Showdown.

I'm looking at getting a early-late nineties 250 motocrosser as a do-all bike.

I have lots of experience and know what im doing, Im 5'10" and 110lbs.

what are some +'s and -'s of these bikes. I like all the colours of the rainbow and i will have about $800 to spend.

looking to do ice racing, trail riding, and just to use it as a do all beater/loaner bike.

? thanks.

Hey there! first response on thumpertalk! woot woot!

But i just bought my first dirt bike about a month ago, a '93 honda cr250!

Found it on a thursday and picked it up on saturday. The guy wanted $800 for it but it was running a touch rough when i got there and he knocked off $100 right off the top. Went through the carb... looked perfect, did all the trouble shoots and couldn't see what was wrong with it so i took it to a dealership and see what they could come up with. ended up being the throttle cable being wrapped around the neck of the frame. can you say "dohhhh". (in homer simpson voice)

anyways, only been out on it for a couple of hours, due to crappy weather, riding some easy trails and as far as i can tell... its a great, once warmed up it kicks over on first kick every time. even when its cold its only around 3-4 kicks. great power, easy to work on. might need front fork seals replaced but thats no big deal. other wise i have no complaints about it!

as far as other bikes of that era go... i'm not sure how they compare. i'm only 18 so the bike is as old as i am haha, haven't been riding dirt bikes that long so have limited experience of how other bikes ride, only other dirt bike that i have ridden similar to it is my buddies '99 rm250 but we think the power-valve on it is cranked all the way the wrong way so it was no comparison, my bike was ten times better, but like i said, the power valve was cranked on it and adjusted poorly.

I plan on cleaning my bike up a bit, nothing radical, just going to ride it as a general purpose woods bike or everything i need it to do bike, maybe race a few hare scrambles on it, we'll see. main reason i got it was because i've always had street bikes but because of football never allowed a dirt bike, well, out of high school now so thats what i wanted! plus all my friends ride in the dirt and i was tired of borrowing bikes and worrying about hurting them! sorry if this response is a touch long winded!? hope you find what your looking for!

also, planning on going to badlands in attica indiana tomorrow! last good weather ride before winter!!

800, look for like a '98 or 99 YZ250, it will be the easiest to ride as an all around bike.......you might luck out on an 01 CR250 (awesome motor)

but I would look for the YZ, there were a ton of them made, good bike, easy to work on, easy and cheap to get parts for and they are the same basic motor as the '12 YZ250

Suggest:

• 96-00 RM250
  • 92-96 CR250

IDK about the 90s KX or YZ. Those who suggest a '99 YZ - good suggestion if you can find one that cheap which I doubt.

I had two 00 RM250s. Seems they made a ton of the '00s. Good versatile motor and handled well which applies all the way down to the '96. The 92-96 CRs are legendary as said before.

I like the purpose this bike but think you should eat a sandwich too.?

I am obsessed with my aluminum frame 98 cr250. If you are looking at honda 97-99 was the span of the new aluminum frame. Anything before that was steel.

Guys why do people prefer the steel frame bikes? You don't NOT make an aluminum framed bike nowadays. Wouldn't steel be a step backward? I heard guys didn't like the aluminum when it first came out, but that was because they didn't know how much they would like it once they got used to it.

I am obsessed with my aluminum frame 98 cr250. If you are looking at honda 97-99 was the span of the new aluminum frame. Anything before that was steel.

Guys why do people prefer the steel frame bikes? You don't NOT make an aluminum framed bike nowadays. Wouldn't steel be a step backward? I heard guys didn't like the aluminum when it first came out, but that was because they didn't know how much they would like it once they got used to it.

?? Check out ktm, husqvarna, beta, husaberg, gasgas:thumbsup:

• Like 1

the aluminum frames were very rigid in 97-01 cr's from what i hear.

so it seems i should look for a steel frame cr then...

I could honestly feel a major difference in what I think is frame rigidity between my '04 cr125 (which is supposedly still very rigid) and my '01 cr250. I cant imagine how rigid the '97-'99 cr's must feel.

I bought my '01 cr250 for $800 (clean, good condition) and immediately put over $1000 into it. You might be better of building up your '89 than buying a bike 4 years newer and having no money to make it rideable.

I liked the 94 and up KXs.I had a 96 CR250 and a 95 KX at the same time..for me the CR was cramped and although the motor pulled to the moon,it lacked bottom end,and I didn't like the stock suspension at all..I'd go with the 98-99 Yamaha,:thumbsup:those things still rip

I found the 96 to have plenty of bottom end, just geared tall oem, +1 on poor oem suspension setup.

I liked the steel frames,they had flex to them..ever ride a steel mountain bike frame with no shocks and ride an aluminum one?..you'd feel a penny if you ran it over:smirk:..as soon as Honda did the perimeter frame like the road race bikes,the rest had to follow suit..Why? because it looked cool and innovative