Sign in to follow this  

Continued bogging no matter what pilot jets I use

I have a 1972 Husky 250wr that I recently restored, and only rebuilt the top-end of the motor. My problem is that I've progressively changed out the pilot jets due to persistant bogging from idle to 1/4 throttle. I've gone from the stock 36mm Mikuni #40 pilot all the down to a #25, then all the way back up to a # 50 pilot with the same consistant bogging. At this point I'm wondering if this really is a pilot jet problem or not? Yes, the motor does smoke a bit, but not enough to make me think this is a pre-mix problem, as I'm currently on the lean side of that. Any after all, this is a 2 stroke. Thank you ANYBODY in advance for tryilng to help me decide on what I should do next.

The pilot jet is not the problem. If its the original carb, then the emulsion tube is worn. As soon as you crack the throttle, the extra fuel is drawn up thru' the tube causing your over rich mix at idle - 1/4 throttle.

Try dropping the needle 2 clip positions; i.e. raise the clip 2 positions. :lol:

Yes, drop the needle all the way to the bottom to see if it helps the problem.

That will tell you if you are getting 'fuel blow by' from a worn emulsion tube.

Pilot jet is for idle only, nothing else.

Did you notice any change in the behavior from one extreme to the other while changing pilot jets? The passages in the carb may be restricted. Certainly if you think it is a jetting issue I would suggest working on the needle also to see if there is a change. With a carb of this age there are a number of issues to be considered that you would not normally think about on a much newer carb. On the older ones wear needs to be considered.