Sign in to follow this  

New workout routine

I am looking for a new workout routine, I have kind of gotten bored with my workouts and am starting to slack. I am 21 years old, 5'8 167 (as of this morning). I would like to gain strength, endurance, and drop weight. A year and a half ago I was 220 and just feel like I have hit a rut. Any routines or even individual things that I could try. I prefer low impact things but as long as they aren't to long I can do them. I was actually hoping for maybe even some plyo excersises.

Any help would be great.

I'll chime in with P90x. I have been through the program a few times. Although for me it was more like P180X. Working out 5 days a week was not a good fit. Too much other stuff going on. Like MX. Anyway, I had never tried anything where I had to follow along. It was actually really good for me. A little extra motivator. It really helped me with my riding endurance too. I am a bit older (47). I really needed a boost.

You mentioned plyo. There is a plyo session in the program. It will be a pretty big accomplishment when can finally keep up with the video. (Without stopping). It is tuff.

There is a yoga session as well. Before you throw it out the window (like I did at first) you need to give it a try. IT IS HARD! Great mental exercise too.

Something else you might consider (this is new to me but I am diggin it) is SPIN. Never even gave spinning a second thought until a friend turned me on to it. One word. CRAZY!! If you get a good instructor/leader that is. It's an hour long and when It’s over you are done!

So there you go.

I live in MN, I have a road bike but its a little hard to ride in the snow lol. I actually have P90X that I forgot about lol. I guess I will try it again

I too am a bit older, 44, but enjoy staying fit and do P90x and Insanity. P90x for the strength training and Insanity for cardio. It has helped my endurance a lot. Find a friend or 2 to do these programs with. It helps a lot to have someone push you and keep you committed.

P90X is good as well as insanity and also I like spin classes!

I am a true believer in doing all kinds of different exercises. It not only trains different muscles but keeps it new and fun at the same time. I too get burned out on the same old thing.

Our team workouts consist of all kinds of wild things! Doing the elliptical machine forward, back and side to side, doing the treadmill both in the forward and backward directions as well as doing the stair stepper forward and back.

We have a workout called the "zoo" which is really intense and hard to explain, but it has a lot of hard movements and is really hard!

Here is a great workout routine we have been doing is this:

Do 1 mile on the elliptical as fast as you can

Then do these exercises as fast as you can with no breaks in between:

20 pull ups

20 push ups

20 squats intro flys (with 25lb weights)

20 back raises

20 burpees

50 jump ropes without missing (if you mess up and catch the jump rope on number 30, you have to start counting at 1 again.)

Do this routine 4 times and of you are fast enough it should take you less than 45 minutes!

Let me know how you like this workout!

You can also check out my fitness fact videos at www.youtube.com/user/RainesRidingU. Each month we do a new fitness fact to add to your workouts!

Have a great day, talk to you soon!

I've been doing this short, really intense 5-15 minutes cardio workouts or whatever you want to call them. They look kind of silly at first but they are actually quite difficult (considering how they look) and I've noticed quite an improvement in my strength and riding by doing these. I'll try to do 1 every other day along with planking.

As far as planking I do it on my stomach for 1.5min with 30 seconds rest then 1min on my stomach again. I rest another 30 seconds and then do 1min on my right side then straight to the other side for another minute. Rest 30 seconds and repeat the two side planks. I believe that those have helped tremendously.

I've also been doing yoga whenever I have some free time and everytime before I ride.

Here are the video for the workouts. I'll just pick a random one on a workout day.

And here are the yoga videos. I do all three.

You may think this stuff is kind of silly but it works very well with a tight schedule (I go to school full time and work 30 hours a week.) And it only takes about 30 minutes every other day. I know it doesn't seem like intense stuff but I HAVE noticed an improvement in my riding along with my endurance and strength. Since I've been doing this I've gone from struggling with 2 or 3 laps to now running 7+ at a much faster pace. And this has been within a 2 month time-span.

I used to workout quite a bit and for a few months I used to run 6 miles and cycle 20 however school was taking up too much time. But you can't beat this little program if you are restricted on time and facilities/equipment.

If you struggle doing pull ups initially you can start by doing "jumping pull-ups".

Use a bike stand or a wooden box (make sure it is good and stable), and place it under your pull-up bar. Go into a deep squat, then explode up into a jump and at the same time grab the pull-up bar and use the momentum to do your pull-up. Lower yourself down slow and controlled and then drop back down onto your box or bike stand.

This helps start your progression in being able to eventually do a full pull up without having to use the momentum from jumping.

Have a great day, talk to you soon!

Jason