Sign in to follow this  

98 kx250 worth it?

hey all i just saw an add for a 98 kx250 on craigs right by where i go to school its listed for 600 bucks. i already have a 2002 yz250 but i have my truck up here right now and im going back home in a couple days. so do you guys think i should get it all the add says it it runs it used to be a hairscramble bike and the cylinder was just re plated. i dont really need the bike but it seems like a good deal to me and it will definatley get its use if i buy it.

http://ithaca.craigslist.org/mcy/2727389096.html

btw i think should be able to fix the dents in the pipe i have compressed air or even argon if it needs it and an oxy acetelene torch

cool im pretty convinced im gonna go for it at this point just waiting for the guy to get back to me

yes ive also heard alot of good things about them from the late 90's... my friend had a 97, pretty much the sam, and it was nice, he had to put forks off a newer one though because the stocks are REALLY soft. but he found a used pair from one of his friends for 80 bucks. but then again his buddy really just wanted them out of his garage where they had been sitting for a year or two. but unless you are going to be racing it yourself it probably wont need it

The '98 has an excellent engine, decent handling, and atrocious forks. But you'll love that hard-hitting low-to-mid power...

Cool, so I'm not the only one! I just got a 98 about a month ago and have been having trouble getting it set up as far as getting comfortable on the bike. Maybe it is the forks. What is a better year to find forks off of? or is it better to just modify the stock 98 forks to get the performance. I'm new to suspension tuning so I'm not too comfortable doing fork work on my own yet.

The single best thing you can do for the '98 forks is throw the stock progressive springs as far was you can and install a set of straight-rate springs appropriate for your weight.

Any year forks can be made to fit with correct clamps, but I believe up to '01 will bolt right on.