2 stroke 250 woods bike-yz-kx-ktm

Hey everyone Iam just getting back into dirtbikes after a 4-5 years break. Iam looking to do woods riding and hare scrambles. Iam going to look at a few bikes tomorrow. 04 yz250, 05 kx250,05 yz250 and possibly a 03 ktm 250 exc. Iam 6.4 275lbs. What do you guys think would be the best platform to start with ?? I know Iam going to have to stiffen up the suspension etc. I have searched around on here alot and it seems the 02 and up yz250s are a good woods bike. Alot of people ( I have read ) say the kx is too snappy and I have no clue about the older ktms. I was thinking of 2 stroke mostly because they are so easy and cheap to maintain. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

if your fast, the MX bikes work, if your not, they beat the hell out of your arms, a revalve will be required, you'll have to soften the suspension on them, and respring for your weight

ktm exc and xc-w have a better gearbox for harescramble and woods riding, lower first and taller 6th, more flywheel, and they also have smoother broader power, which is very nice in the woods, there's also a 300cc option you may want to consider, ktm, gasgas, and husqvarna all sell them. Husqvarna wr300 has very agressive pricing from dealers, you would be surprised how cheap they go, and at 6'4" they fit your frame really well. You can also turn a ktm250 or gasgas 250 into a 300 pretty easily, so that's an option later. The ktm 300 makes a lot more bottom end, the gasgas 300 makes more everywhere, I'm not sure what all is required to convert a Husqvarna 250 to a 300

at races I see a LOT more orange and red (gasgas/husqvarna) than the japanese 4, and of the japanese I see a lot of YZ250's if that says anything

Thanks for the info guys ! Like I said I have been out of dirt riding for quite awhile now so Iam no longer up on the bikes. I didnt know the kx's were small. How are the rm's and cr's size wise ?? I havent seen any huskys posted for sale up here. So the yz's seem good from what I read and like someone said they see mostly them out of the jap bikes. How are the older ktm 250 exc's ?? I have read the newer ones were nice and thought I read reading from 03 and up were good also... ?? There is also a 06 ktm 250xc in the area for around the same money.

Edited by horsinaround

Iam kinda leaning towards the kx or yz mainly because of price. I can get either bike for 1500 bucks. Either ktm will be around 2000-2200 I would say. I dont know if the ktms are worth the extra cash are they ?? provided they are all in good shape of course.

You will get a variety of opinions on this one.?

I'd save the $700 and have them look down their nose at you. ?

SX250s make great woods bikes, but so do YZ250s and KX250s. KTM isn't worth the extra $$ in this case.

At 6'4", your going to have to do some ergo alterations to get anything to fit you properly. Bar risers and tall seat foam are good starting points.

I've never noticed a KX really being any smaller than a YZ, but I've only riden a KX250 for just few moments. Did own an '03 YZ250 for a while, great bike and wish I'd never sold it.

One bike I HAVE noticed being smaller is the RM250s. Look to be an easy inch or so shorter than anything else I've been on..

Out of the bikes you listed I would choose the YZ250. I really don't like the older KTM suspension. I don't think the KTM suspension started getting decent until about 05-06. I have no experience with KX's, so that would be the only deterrent for me on that bike. 2T YZ's are well known for being great woods bikes, you just need a few mods to make them more woods friendly. You can also put WR gears in them if you want gearing like the KTM EXC/XCW's come with.

I will say this... the KX has very abrupt power. its almost insane. we have an 07 with full exhaust, and it goes. to me it would be a good woods bike, but it would need a little work and some stuff. as far as that goes, big ass flywheel, and some gearing and some protection but thats about it that I can see.

I ended up picking up a 05 aluminum frame yz250. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Real clean bike with new swingarm bearings,brand new top and bottom end (new o.e.m crank and cylinder),new tires,new chain and sprockets and new cables. 1600.00 I think it was a real good buy. What do you guys think ??

Came with all receipts for the parts. Now to turn it into a woods bike....

Everyone keeps telling me they are awesome ! I cant wait to get it out this weekend. It was a month old ad I found on craigslist too. The guy was alittle tough to get ahold of but once I did I just went down and looked at it. He said he had quite a few calls over the last month but no one ever came down to look at it. I think it was only list for 1800 too. Oh well. Glad I got a deal. Thanks for all your input guys, I appreciate it. :bonk: