Sign in to follow this  

duckbill on crank breather hose?

hey guys...

do you guys have a duckbill on the end of your bottom crankcase breather hose?

Mine is open as is the top hose...

just wondering if i should find a cap suitable to tap it off or of its fine as is...

oil is clean and lasts quite a bit, but change often anyways so cant imagine too much crap getting in...

it blows more than it sucks, jaaja wink wink

thanks

Remove the stock crankcase vent hose assembly, replace it with a straight piece of hose and run it up as high as possible under the seat area and install a vent filter on the end of the hose. This will keep the engine from inhaling dust/crud through the vent hose and prevent water from entering the crankcase in deep water crossings.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=6946

Remove the stock crankcase vent hose assembly, replace it with a straight piece of hose and run it up as high as possible under the seat area and install a vent filter on the end of the hose. This will keep the engine from inhaling dust/crud through the vent hose and prevent water from entering the crankcase in deep water crossings.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=6946

+1 :lol:

That's what I did and I've had no problems with it. I do however, get a light oil film around the area where the filter is. I clean the filter once a year and wipe off the slight oil film and am good to go for another season. My oil seems to stay cleaner longer and I don't get any oil in my airbox this way either.

:)

hi creeky, thanks

I have read some on this and cant find out why you would eliminate the dual hose...

the lower is so oil flows down, and your drain every once in a while and the top is routed up and over the shock...stock

what the reason for eliminating the dual system?

I like the filter idea just want to know more details before doing this..

also the dual hose system prevents you from ever experiencing a "blockage" no?

really would appreciate more thoughts on the matter...

thanks

my xr600 has no hose connected to the airbox unlike some years and xr650l's....

its a tube up pver the shock and a tube down behind the swingarm...

it is supposed to have a little duckbill or cap on the bottom hose though hence my original question...

I am leaning towards this mod though just need to hear more good stuff and or input.

jaja sorry

On the XR650L the only hose that has a "duckbill" is the drain hose for the airbox ... I don't know about the XR600, but you might want to check and see what the stock hose setup is for it, your hoses might have been re-done/rerouted by a previous owner.

:lol:

if it is a vent don't cap it

hey guys...

do you guys have a duckbill on the end of your bottom crankcase breather hose?

Mine is open as is the top hose...

just wondering if i should find a cap suitable to tap it off or of its fine as is...

oil is clean and lasts quite a bit, but change often anyways so cant imagine too much crap getting in...

it blows more than it sucks, jaaja wink wink

thanks

None of my bikes have the top breather hose,,All I have is a longish one with the short bend in it coming out of the bottom crankcase breather and exiting down low by the bottom of the swingarm/rear of the motor,,Nothing on the end of any of them,,Same way I've had them since I ripped all that unnecessary stuff off,,XL/XR twin carb or the 89 single carb,,all the same setup and routed the same..Course I don't do any riding where the motor is in some sort of submerged situation,,might consider adding a 3 way splitter and running another hose up by the seat somewhere as the top exit point if that wasn't the case.,

My 1990 600 has the setup you speak of Christian. It also has the pinched flap below which acts as a one way valve of sorts. As they get old and brittle the effectiveness is reduced and it can also detach from the breather tube. IMO if you don't plan on submerging the bike with the engine off you should be fine. Blow-by from the motor should keep everything outside the engine when running.

On my Polaris I added a setup similar to what was discussed above though. Only this is on the coolant system. When submerged or run thru a deep mud bog the sudden decrease in temperature can actually cause the system to draw back crud into the recovery tank vent along with getting into the water pump seal drip port. Running vent lines up as high as possible helps prevent this from happening.

thanks dudes..

my setup is stock except its missing the duckbill no mods...

I like it this way cause if the lower end is submerged no harm no foul as the top hose up by the airbox can exhale/breath

just wanted to know if its ok sans the duckbill or of I should find some aftermarket cap/duckbill

thanks for the help guys, appreciate it!

Ill see what I can find around here to fix my "issue"

cheers