Sign in to follow this  

ODD oil leak on a ORION 125CC?

A guy down the street asked if I could do a valve adjustment on his kid's Orion pit bike for him since it's making tapping noise. I've done it before on a couple of Hondas in about 20 mins so I said sure. I proceded to take the side cover off in order to locate the TDC mark. There are 3 bolts holding the side cover on this bike. The odd thing with this one is that when I removed the cover bolt that's right below the sprocket, oil started running out of the bolt hole. This never happened before on the other bikes......is this some sort of odd Chinese design?

No, someone put the wrong bolt (a longer one) in that hole, tightened it up and punctured a hole in the case. The most common repair method is to find a shorter bolt, put Yamabond on the threads, and tighten it in place.

You are correct sir. When I work on things (especially if it's not mine), I make it a habit to put things back EXACTLY the way I found it by making a note of where everything goes. When I initially took the cover off to do the valve adjustments, I noted where the 3 bolts came from, and temporarily put the 1 bolt back in the leaking hole while I did the valves. Afterwards, I put everything back the way I found it.

But in my mind, something just didn't seem right, thus I posted the question and your diagnoses seemed logical. When I first took the cover off, I didn't drain the oil, since there was no need to under normal circumstances. After reading your reply, I had the guy bring the bike back. I drained the oil, and took the cover back off and measured the bolts & also looked into the leaking bolt hole. Sure enough, I could see where the oil was coming from. Of the three bolts, 1 was longer than the other 2. So I put the cover back on and held it in place by hand, took a small stick and measured the bolt hole depth. The longer bolt that was in the leaking hole is suppose to go in at the top of the cover instead. I showed him what was wrong and asked him if he had removed the cover before & he said that the had taken it in to a shop to have them replace the chain & sprockets. I'm pretty sure the "mechanic" at the shop didn't pay attention to which bolts goes where and buggered up the case.

So I cleaned out the bolt hole, put a dab of sealant in there first (trying to make a dam so that the next time the cover is taken off, hopefully it won't leak when the bolt is taken out), and also put some on the thread and replaced the cover with the correct bolts in their places. We let it set for an hour to cure, then topped it off with fresh oil. We rode the bike around for about 15 mins. and things seem to be holding up well (no leaks). I told him that if worse comes to worst and it still leaks, we would just take the leaking bolt completely out and dam up the hole without the bolt since the other two bolts still holds the cover on securely. It's not like the cover is a sealed cover that needs to hold in fluid, it's just to cover the sprocket.

You could also cut the ignition cover like the one below, put some Yamabond on the threads of an even shorter bolt, and leave the bolt in place in the hole. Cutting the cover like so does away with the third bolt hole, and gives you easier access to the sprocket.

000_0795-800.jpg

I've done that to my bikes before, but this one isn't mine and since I don't know what type of shoes/boots his kid wears when riding, I didn't want the possibility of his shoe laces getting caught in the sprocket in case he doesn't know any better and only wears street shoes.