Sign in to follow this  

why so ... cheap?

i was looking at a mag tooday on enduro and trail bikes and it just seems like the drz is sooo much cheaper than all the rest. yamaha's 250 is about 6 grand, aprilia's 450 and 550 are like 8, husqvarna's are like 9, ktm's like 8 and 9 all for bikes that are around the same power out put. my 09 sm was a left over with a sticker of 4995. is there a reason for this? just made me wonder is all. is fuel injection really worth that much?

What they all said, the DRZ was never the best, fastest, lightest, anything.. It was a good strong bike that could be used on road and off. It is largely unchanged since the day it came off the line in 2000....It can still be a fun bike, if fun is what your after. If standing on a podium is the goal start with a better bike. Mine still brings me grins, so Im still riding it.

Heck, as far as "dual sport/purpose" bikes go, the intended use is not to win MX races, but versatility. Thus people are still buying KLR's, DR's, XR-L's, etc. I think these are all in the same price range as the DRZ, maybe some cheaper, and with the exception of the KLR's new plastic, they're all older technology.

Heck, as far as "dual sport/purpose" bikes go, the intended use is not to win MX races, but versatility. Thus people are still buying KLR's, DR's, XR-L's, etc. I think these are all in the same price range as the DRZ, maybe some cheaper, and with the exception of the KLR's new plastic, they're all older technology.

Lot more out there to race then just MX, and a lot of better bikes out there for it most times. Enduros GP Races, Hare and hound, competitive DS rides... ect.. MX is just a part of non street competition. The DRZ can enter all of it, finish, and bring a grin to the riders face, but winning on a DRZ is tough to not happening.

Even for a DS bike, there are more (better) street oriented bikes out that, and more (better) dirt orientated DS bikes out there than the DRZ.

If your just wanting to get down the trail, road, finish the race, competitive ride, the DRZ is still a great choice. Huge following, tons of aftermarket support. as a "Dead" Design, the wealth of common knowledge available if tremendous. And the buy in price is right.

And lets not forget, OP was quoting msrp vs. leftover pricing. 09 at that.

i know that they are high end names but when i was shopping for a bike less than a year ago reviews wise the drz did better with reliability than them. some of the bigger 650 bikes are nice but i do not like air cooled so that gets rid of a few right off the bat. i ride daily and have done all the preventive maint. that was not difficult. i just dont get paying twice for something that is going to break. i dont do any racing so i was not concerened with being the fastest just want to go meet up with friends at the trails and then when they are loading up in their truck continue on my ride on the way home. i was orriginally in the market for a yz 450f but the price of one and the need to buy a pick up or something to tow it and a trailer ruled it out the drz was cheep and is just fun.

i know that they are high end names but when i was shopping for a bike less than a year ago reviews wise the drz did better with reliability than them. some of the bigger 650 bikes are nice but i do not like air cooled so that gets rid of a few right off the bat. i ride daily and have done all the preventive maint. that was not difficult. i just dont get paying twice for something that is going to break. i dont do any racing so i was not concerened with being the fastest just want to go meet up with friends at the trails and then when they are loading up in their truck continue on my ride on the way home. i was orriginally in the market for a yz 450f but the price of one and the need to buy a pick up or something to tow it and a trailer ruled it out the drz was cheep and is just FUN.

There you have it, would you have more fun if you spent more money on a high end bike?

Better to spend the price of a high end bike and then some more modifying the DRZ:lol:

I've found what the drz lacks in performance it make up for reliability. I've had some high strung machines, and even though I want more performance at times, its always fun and I can spend the money that I would normally spend on engine maintenance on making the bike nice. If it would have been about thiry pounds lighter it might be the ultimate bike for me.

This thread makes me smile! I love the DRZ! I owned a plated E for a little less than a year. They are great bikes, I sold my '05 E with less than 1k total miles to a buddy of mine to get him into offroad riding for 2K even. I also pointed my dad in the direction of a 2007 SM with the dirt goodies. I now own a KTM and have had outstanding luck with the reliability.....Top notch and in the same class as a DRZ, XR or WR but more suited to what I like to ride! The KTM takes just a touch more maintenance, like 5-10 min more per oil change/valve check, but my buddy and my dad don't want to learn how to do a valve check....I'm actually sure it takes them more time to change the oil than it does for me to change the oil and adjust valves on my KTM. It's all about your intended use, and the DRZ fits alot!:bonk:

BTW: I still hate the S/SM, it's a sluggish heavy turd, I understand why you guys mod the crap out of them!:smirk:

but my buddy and my dad don't want to learn how to do a valve check...

Throw it in their face anyway......:smirk:

This comprehensive write up by E.Marquez will be a helpful walk thru for valve clearance checks...:bonk:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813179

Lots of good tips in the FAQ section....http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397

Throw it in their face anyway......:smirk:

This comprehensive write up by E.Marquez will be a helpful walk thru for valve clearance checks...:bonk:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813179

Lots of good tips in the FAQ section....http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397

I've personally read the FAQ's a number of times. The TT DRZ forum is the most helpfull I've ever been apart of. The point of my post was after the known fixes (in the FAQ) you can get away with murder w/ the DRZ. A far superior XR4.

The point of my post was after the known fixes (in the FAQ) you can get away with murder w/ the DRZ. A far superior XR4.

Yeah...for sure....generally the DRZer is bullet proof, if maintained...

But just FYI..don't do a 13:1 compression ,95.5mm Bore x +5mm stroke(484cc) ....When ridden hard they have a reputation for pushing head gaskets..

I found out the painful way.....

Eddie says going bigger than 94mm bore drastically increases the chances of this occurring...

The metal between the combustion chamber and water jacket gets a wee bit narrow to hold the compression...

Yeah...for sure....generally the DRZer is bullet proof, if maintained...

But just FYI..don't do a 13:1 compression ,95.5mm Bore x +5mm stroke(484cc) ....When ridden hard they have a reputation for pushing head gaskets..

I found out the painful way.....

Eddie says going bigger than 94mm bore drastically increases the chances of this occurring...

The metal between the combustion chamber and water jacket gets a wee bit narrow to hold the compression...

Going bigger then 94mm on a OEM or OEM pattern cylinder (cylinder works) is the issues spoken of :bonk:

Athena and Ice Cube give you better options with larger then 94mm bores.

Suzuki has cranked out a gajillion of these bikes over more than a decade, essentially unchanged. That really lowers their cost, and as a result the retail price of the bike.