Sign in to follow this  

Mixing 2 brands of 2stroke oil??

Can i mess up my bike mixing twu differant brands of two stroke oil? The bikeshop i go too ran out so had to get another. I used to use MC1 but now i had to get Motul. There both synthetics but want to be safe. The problem is i have like half a tank with mc1 and im going to ride tomorrow and want to fill up. What do u guys think??? YZ250

i doubt it will hurt anything. ive done it. ive done it many times in my outboard but thats not as high performance of a motor. itll be fine.

Can i mess up my bike mixing twu differant brands of two stroke oil? The bikeshop i go too ran out so had to get another. I used to use MC1 but now i had to get Motul. There both synthetics but want to be safe. The problem is i have like half a tank with mc1 and im going to ride tomorrow and want to fill up. What do u guys think??? YZ250

If it's a huge concern, then go with a couple of options: 1. drain the tank, then refill it with new mix. 2. Run it together a little on the rich side. I personally would run with option 1. Maybe even leave the fuel off and run the carb dry. Since no 2 premix oil lube exactly the same, run it a tad rich. Worst thing that might happen...foul a plug, maybe. I'm certainly no expert, but that's how I'd approach it.

it will be fine.

ive never had any problems switching brands and i do it sometimes when i run out of my good stuff i buy the cheapo stuff at the gas station

Maybe even leave the fuel off and run the carb dry.

Do not do that, if you want the carb empty, open the cap on the bottom. I've lean siezed a bike from running out of gas.

synthetic & oil based oils do not play well together.....if they are the same just start a new batch and dump it in the tank.

ive mixed semi synthetic with dino oil with no ill effects

Iv'e found that draining it by taking off the nut on the bottom usually just makes a big mess. Much easier to put a water bottle over the drain hoses, and lean the bike on its side to drain the gas.

Do not do that, if you want the carb empty, open the cap on the bottom. I've lean siezed a bike from running out of gas.

Running at WFO or puttering around the yard?

Running at WFO or puttering around the yard?

either will do it because your still running lean on feul and oil which is there to lubricate and keep it cool so the piston heats up and expands faster than the cylinder which causes a seizure, same thing can happen with a cold bike that hasn't been warmed up yet

Changed the premix in my bike multiple times in 2 days to find what i liked worst that happend is i fouled the plug and had to ride the crap out of it till that tank what gone and i could get fresh gas

In 30 years of riding I have run out of gas easily dozens (+ more) of times .....at WFO......and never seized from it. If you run a good oil its still in there lubricating.

Mixing different types of oils can (sort of) foul the plug. It will form a small ball between the electrode and the tip grounding it out.

Mixing premix isn't that bad, but avoid pouring different oils in the same bottle. what I thought the op was talking about, my bad