Sign in to follow this  

Newby Questions on MT250 Elsinore

I recently bought a MT250 from a guy and its in great condition but its missing a carb and tank.. But everything else is there.. Is there a mikuni carb that i can use which is way cheeper than a OEM one....

Thanks and just fyi new to off road vintage bikes but now vintage bikes at all..

Red

There are a ton of "newer style" used carbs on fle-bay. I run a carb off a 2000RM 250 on my 75 Yamaha. Made it run SO much better than the old style round slide.(after a little jetting, 3 down on the main)..If you can get someone to measure demensions on a carb to see if will fit,then jetting will be really easy.

Here is one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-HONDA-MT250-MT-250-CARB-CARBURETOR-/110785893605?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19cb5a94e5

you can of course go with a new Mikuni roundlside for about the same money, the problem is the new Mikuni Roundslides have a larger bell than the OEM ones and thus your original intake boot will not connect to it. You can get around this by using a UNI sock filter and discarding the original air box- as it will be in the way of the sock filter. It won't run any better and you will have to play around with the jetting to get it right. You could even go high dolar on a flat side carb, maybe... but again on an old simple piston port 2 smoke it is not going to make much of a notable difference.

Best bet is to stay stock for orginality and resale value, as well as simplicity, it was engineered to run with the stock carb under a variety of conditions. If it was me I would use an original stock carb, clean it well, and replace the float bowl gasket and install. It will run great. I would also - unless it has good compression - do a top end job. Simple to do and gives you a fresh new feeling motor.

I have an MT250 that is all stock and it runs quite well. oh! as far as your tank goes again as most of us do go onto ebay and find one.... :-) here is a nice one - a bit spendy though....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-HONDA-MT250-MT-250-GAS-TANK-FUEL-/280634020847?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item41571753ef

:bonk: Awesome thanks!!!! last one do these bring some money when restored? I have read some older posts saying they are but now with the economy so crappy i dont know..

Red

a controversial subject... value vs what you put in them. A good running complete bike is probably worth around 1,200 -1,500. One that is like it was out of the crate could bring as much as 10K! Ones that are overdone, too much polishing and chroming, actually distracts interest - collectors, but ofrten bring 4,500 or so..

a daily runner all there, sorta, dings and scratches, aftermarket parts, (levers etc) runs ok... 500-600 bucks.