Sign in to follow this  

Auto Decomp remove or leave it be...

I did a search and I am not sure to leave it or dump it...Mine looks fine but if it goes out it could toast my ride.

Will I have starting issues with the stock battery?

Will I have problems with hot starts?

Any other problems?

I did a search and I am not sure to leave it or dump it...Mine looks fine but if it goes out it could toast my ride.

Will I have starting issues with the stock battery?

Will I have problems with hot starts?

Any other problems?

It’s a reliability deal. Like stator bolt, balancer shaft nut, primary nut Loctite fixe’s…ect ect.. Most DRZ’s of later years will not need um, but some will.. Is your DRZ some or most? If you say most and guess right, then no need to deal with the Auto Decomp preemptively.

As your starting to see, it’s not black and white..

The Auto Decomp has been known to fail, when it does it can be just a nasty noise that need to be addressed, or it can cause a catastrophic failure when the broken pin gets somewhere it should not, when the loose auto decomp assembly beats the valve bucket to submission.

Removing it, means no decompression while starting.. In a correctly tuned motor, with a maintained starting / charging system and good batter (you have done the free power mod yes?) the bike will start reliably in OEM trim without the Auto Decomp.

ive decided to remove mine when i get home over christmas break, just adding another opinion to the bucket.

My bike is mostly stock no big bore kit...just a jet kit/3x3 and a FMF header/pipe. Power mod as well but stock battery...Would I have problems ?

Remove the auto decomp. You wont have any issuses, your bike will start just fine with stock battery & it will start faster. It sounds cool with it removed almost no cracking & it fires right up. Alos the + side you wont have to worry about it coming apart.:bonk:

DSC08672.jpg

DSC08673.jpg

Should it be removed if you have a kick-starter (on an S model)?

Do you guys recomend removing the autodecomp on my HC cam? Running a 434 and e-base gasket. Have done over 8000km on the cam. Iam about to do a piston change so now would be the time to pull it, but i dont want any starting issues. Is the Hc autodecomp safer then the stock one?

mine had 10+ degrees of slop in rotation. the spring was still holding, but the assembly was moving on the cam that much, and sounded like hell.

finally cut it off today, man what a quiet bike. the stock exhaust is noisy now. strangly weird it's so quiet.

• Like 1