Sign in to follow this  

HELP!! Should i get a Pitster Pro XTR 230 LC?

I have been riding a Yamaha TT-R 230 for about 2 years and put well over $500 into it and it just is not getting that much better for me, i am a 6 ft, 220lbs so it is way to small for me off the start, i love the 230 motor but hate with all my life the frame, based off the specs it looks better but i beat the living hell out of the bikes where i ride, i ride in trail that even pro leval riders who belong to the club cant get out of 2nd gear, the trails alone will beat the bikes down even with out my extream riding style, so sould i get the Pister PRO?

Save your money to get a real bike of at least 250 cc real displacement. For you height and size a '00-'08 DRZ400 Suzuki would fit you fine and with the long production run there are good deals on the early ones. Stay away from a "modern" 250ccMX bike due to high maintenance costs and relatively short engine rebuild cycle and life.

An xr 250 or 400 could be a good option. You will have a shortish engine life with the 2 stroke race type engines also. I don't see very many wr's. If you want a two stroke trail bike a kdx is pretty much standard for a newish rider. There are tons available and they are cheap.

KDX200 was a sweet woods bike but a 2 smoker....I have a WR250X...the supermoto version of the WR250R dual sport....fuel injection...e-start..decent suspension....well responsive to upgrades...great build quality.....bought mine in '08 and have had zero issues....overall good bike

Lets see? the guy comes in the china section asking about a china built bike and then you guys come in to tell him about jap bikes that were not in the original post. How many that have directed him to a different bike, have a Pitster XTR 230?

I have been riding a Yamaha TT-R 230 for about 2 years and put well over $500 into it and it just is not getting that much better for me, i am a 6 ft, 220lbs so it is way to small for me off the start, i love the 230 motor but hate with all my life the frame, based off the specs it looks better but i beat the living hell out of the bikes where i ride, i ride in trail that even pro leval riders who belong to the club cant get out of 2nd gear, the trails alone will beat the bikes down even with out my extream riding style, so sould i get the Pister PRO?

Now to answer your question, the XTR 230 has more power (not a lot more) the the TTR, has better suspension, brakes,wheels, hubs is lighter and is just as reilable (yes we have beaten the crap out of the TTR230 too). It is not a full on MX bike, but is far superior to the TTR230 and even the CRF230.

The xtr 230 looks a lot like the bikes coming out of the Galaxy factory. I had a similar bike, in a 150cc air cooled motor. The chassis on the 150 (that appears rather similar to the 230) was a copy of the KTM 85/105 bikes. So much so a copy that a whole lot of chassis parts were direct bolt on including shocks, brakes, sub frame etc.

I can compare the xtr150 to the crf150f. The xtr was a good 30+lbs lighter. The motor was on par power wise, with no clear advantage.

The forks made by Fast Ace(chinese) was pretty impressive. THe shock I swapped for a WP unit off a KTM 85 since I could easily find springs that fit and it was rebuildable.

Like most China bikes, they do require a good bit of prep. I tore mine down and replaced a couple dozen bolts with higher grade stainless bolts with loctite. Once I got that done and tweaked on the fuel screw it ran spectacularly.

Unfortunatley the bike got stolen. I've been looking for a deal on another one since.

thanks to thoes who have accualy helped me, i just am not 100% on it because most of what comes out of china is crap and i dont want to get stuck with something that will just brake on me

I would not recomend a Pitster Pro. My son tried to race one this past season. They gave him a little sponsorship, we got the bike for cost and any parts for cost. The dealer took it apart and changed a bunch of parts before we picked it up so it would be "race ready."

I took it from the dealer to my mechanic, he called me just to tell me what a peice of crap it was. The forks had different levels of oil, he stopped counting after 14 stripped bolts that had to be retapped, the list just went on and on. When we picked it up he said he did the best he could with it. After my son rode it for four hours over the course of one day the swing arm bolt had loosened up and the bearings were hanging out of it. We fixed that.

Shortly after that my son was in a bad accident with it. Now the accident wasn't solely the bikes fault but I still can't get the thought out of my head that maybe there was another bolt loose I missed, or the axel loosened back up, or something. I don't know but he will never get on another chinese bike. It's just not worth it to me.

This wasn't the Pitster 230 BUT, I watched other Pitster Pro bikes racing during the season, while my son sat on the sidelines due to the accident, and they had many problems. It seemed every race there was an issue with something. This was in Harescramble races so they are just like trail riding.

I would spend the extra dough and get a Jap bike. IMO a used jap bike is way better then a new Chinese bike. JMO with some personal experience. I have heard others say they are fine but that is not the experience we had.

I would not recomend a Pitster Pro. My son tried to race one this past season. They gave him a little sponsorship, we got the bike for cost and any parts for cost. The dealer took it apart and changed a bunch of parts before we picked it up so it would be "race ready."

I took it from the dealer to my mechanic, he called me just to tell me what a peice of crap it was. The forks had different levels of oil, he stopped counting after 14 stripped bolts that had to be retapped, the list just went on and on. When we picked it up he said he did the best he could with it. After my son rode it for four hours over the course of one day the swing arm bolt had loosened up and the bearings were hanging out of it. We fixed that.

Shortly after that my son was in a bad accident with it. Now the accident wasn't solely the bikes fault but I still can't get the thought out of my head that maybe there was another bolt loose I missed, or the axel loosened back up, or something. I don't know but he will never get on another chinese bike. It's just not worth it to me.

This wasn't the Pitster 230 BUT, I watched other Pitster Pro bikes racing during the season, while my son sat on the sidelines due to the accident, and they had many problems. It seemed every race there was an issue with something. This was in Harescramble races so they are just like trail riding.

I would spend the extra dough and get a Jap bike. IMO a used jap bike is way better then a new Chinese bike. JMO with some personal experience. I have heard others say they are fine but that is not the experience we had.

Sure out of the thousands of Pitsters sold every year..

If they were really that bad, there would be a ground swell of complaints..

Sounds like the "dealer " took it apart has some explaining to do.

Pitsters have won many pitbike championships and even GNCC championships.

Edited by ncc

The dealer took it apart and changed a bunch of parts before we picked it up so it would be "race ready."

I took it from the dealer to my mechanic, he called me just to tell me what a peice of crap it was. The forks had different levels of oil, he stopped counting after 14 stripped bolts that had to be retapped, the list just went on and on. When we picked it up he said he did the best he could with it.

Not to discount the troubles you and your son had, but my first move after your mechanic called would have been to get up in the dealer. Sounds a whole lot like really bad "race prep" work on their part...

As to the question at hand once again. To the OP, how mechanically handy are you? As YZPaGuy found out, the bike's dealer obviously isn't worth a hoot, do you have the ability to run through the bike and prep things? If you have to pay a good mechanic/dealer, you'll quickly negate the initial cost savings over the Jap model.

I'm not here to bash them or debate how good they are. I'm just sharing my experience with them and watching them on the track.

IMO there are very few dealers that can get a bike right when they build them. Our mechanic on the other hand, he takes care of all of our bikes. We never have a problem. He was the wrench for a guy that won several National Enduro titles in the last 10 years. We have no problems with the yamaha's, Honda's or Kawi's the he maintains and we race.

Everyone knows a race bike from the factory sponsor is in no way the same bike you buy from a dealer. Whether they have won national titles or not really means little when comparing brands to buy.

The OP asked if he would be buying a bike that constantly needs work. Like everyone has said in this thread, right when you buy them they need to be taken apart and a bunch of parts replaced, thats before you even ride the bike. Again, just my opinion and experience.

I'm not here to bash them or debate how good they are. I'm just sharing my experience with them and watching them on the track.

IMO there are very few dealers that can get a bike right when they build them. Our mechanic on the other hand, he takes care of all of our bikes. We never have a problem. He was the wrench for a guy that won several National Enduro titles in the last 10 years. We have no problems with the yamaha's, Honda's or Kawi's the he maintains and we race.

Everyone knows a race bike from the factory sponsor is in no way the same bike you buy from a dealer. Whether they have won national titles or not really means little when comparing brands to buy.

The OP asked if he would be buying a bike that constantly needs work. Like everyone has said in this thread, right when you buy them they need to be taken apart and a bunch of parts replaced, thats before you even ride the bike. Again, just my opinion and experience.

As the OP asked about the XTR230,, where is you knowledge of that model ?

The XTR 230 does not need taken apart before you ride it or race it for that matter, it does not lose bolts and it in fact an over built and sturdy.

I'm just curious about the XTR 230 as well. My wife is on a CRF150F right now, but it lacks power. She is an A level rider but almost exclusively trail rides (as a sweeper to make sure I haven't wrapped myself around a tree :bonk: ) My question is regarding replacement components (ie seats, plastics, engine parts). Is there a jap bike that has interchangeable parts with the XTR 230?

I'm just curious about the XTR 230 as well. My wife is on a CRF150F right now, but it lacks power. She is an A level rider but almost exclusively trail rides (as a sweeper to make sure I haven't wrapped myself around a tree :thumbsup: ) My question is regarding replacement components (ie seats, plastics, engine parts). Is there a jap bike that has interchangeable parts with the XTR 230?

Engine parts, Honda crf230, plastics, seat frame parts ect, KTM 105